Dealing with Flare Ups

Any type of high heat grill.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Dealing with Flare Ups

Postby rms827 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:12 am

So as I've mentioned before, I'm new to charcoal. I'm getting the basics down but still have a good ways to go.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to prevent and combat flare ups. It's chicken that's been the main problem here. Twice I've done chicken quarters. Short notice so no brine both times BTW. First time they went straight onto the Weber. Second time I SLOW smoked them on the Rec Tec first at 180. That kept them crazy juicy and gave them some real nice smoke flavor. Anyway, they got pulled at 110 IT and then onto the Weber. Both times, drippings from the chicken had some real flare ups going. Second time, I left an area for indirect heat, and was rotating chicken over to it like crazy due to flare ups.

In both cases, the chicken was still plenty edible. The skin was definitely too dark for me to feel it had good presentation though.

So any specific or just general flare up tips?

FWIW, the chicken was rinsed off, dried, and seasoned before going on the grill.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Dealing with Flare Ups

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 23, 2018 6:15 am

Most of the time I cook "directly" over the charcoal in my ECB but you may need to go to indirect. I remedied the ?problems? from flare up by putting more distance between my coals and the meat. Probably not the best way but it works for me and the length of time is the only difference. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Wed May 23, 2018 10:38 am

Ive always done it indirect. No flare ups, no charred black skin.
Weber charcoal baskets be your friend :cheers:

Bill
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Wed May 23, 2018 11:58 am

Put a lil aluminum pan on the bottom grate , lit charcoal goes beside the pan. Place chicken on top grate above the aluminum pan, drippings will land in the pan and your flare ups should disappear.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Wed May 23, 2018 8:21 pm

By no means am I a master but I cook my chicken indirect first then finish up direct. The main thing I do is make sure my coals are spread out real good. After the chicken is about 2/3rds cooked indirectly I move to direct heat. By this time my coals have burned down to a manageable temp. Just above 375ish right over the coal. The grease and fat have rendered enough to be able to put over the coal. Next step is to let your nose tell you what's going on. You can smell when the birds getting a little hot. Just keep practicing you will get it.
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:42 pm

Some good advice her and there is always the option of GrillGrates.
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:42 am

I second Grill Grates.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life

Return to “Charcoal Grills, Gas Grills and Disc Cookers”