UDS vs. WSM

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

roaniecowpony
Cowboy

UDS vs. WSM

Postby roaniecowpony » Tue May 25, 2010 11:13 pm

Being new to the bbq scene, I'm going thru some sole searching on what bbq I really want. I just bought an offset and I'm thrilled with the results, but the inefficient fuel usage and attention required to do a good cook is making me think I want something else for the long cooks like brisket and butt.

I'm looking at everything. I went and looked at the Bubba Keg and I didn't like the build quality and lack of ability to add fuel without pulling the food grill. I have been around the ceramic cookers as a kid in Japan when my father had them. I seem to recall that they were about $18 in the BX on the base in the mid sixties...times change.

I read some things about the way the flavor is different on a UDS that no other bbq can offer. That seems to be from the drippings onto the fire. But can't you remove the waterpan in the WSM and get the same effect?

Anyway, I'd like to hear thoughts on the pros and cons of UDS vs WSM. Fabrication isn't a problem as I have extensive metal working background and access to a friend's fabrication shop that'd make the big names in bbq drewl.

Thanks
Chuck
[i][b][color=#0000BF]Chuck[/color][/b][/i]
RecTec RT-700 Platinum Pkg
Bubba Keg grill/smoker
Capt-n-Cook 600" gasser grill
26" Weber Kettle
harry verdurchi USER_AVATAR
Harry Verdurchi
Rustler

Re: UDS vs. WSM

Postby Harry Verdurchi » Wed May 26, 2010 8:35 am

I have cooked on everything from an old toolbox to an Exhaust Manifold on my Truck and without exception the longer you take the better it turns out . Ya gotta love this to do it right and if you Rush it you might as well Flush it .

With the exception of a really expensive cooker like a Traeger the best is just plain ol 55 gallon Drums or big Smokers with an offset Firebox.
I got First Place in Every Cook Off I ever Entered.
But the Judges most of the Time Gave the Prizes to Someone Else
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed May 26, 2010 11:03 am

roaniecowpony wrote:Being new to the bbq scene, I'm going thru some sole searching on what bbq I really want. I just bought an offset and I'm thrilled with the results, but the inefficient fuel usage and attention required to do a good cook is making me think I want something else for the long cooks like brisket and butt.

You should look at a ceramic

roaniecowpony wrote:I'm looking at everything. I went and looked at the Bubba Keg and I didn't like the build quality and lack of ability to add fuel without pulling the food grill. I have been around the ceramic cookers as a kid in Japan when my father had them. I seem to recall that they were about $18 in the BX on the base in the mid sixties...times change.

Same refueling issues with a UDS. Imperial Kamados... not ceramic but terra cotta like a real flower pot. I got one, works ok but no match for Einstein.

roaniecowpony wrote:I read some things about the way the flavor is different on a UDS that no other bbq can offer. That seems to be from the drippings onto the fire. But can't you remove the waterpan in the WSM and get the same effect?

The food grate on a UDS is higher than on a WSM, less of chance of burning.

roaniecowpony wrote:Anyway, I'd like to hear thoughts on the pros and cons of UDS vs WSM. Fabrication isn't a problem as I have extensive metal working background and access to a friend's fabrication shop that'd make the big names in bbq drewl.

I had a WSM, typical (great) Weber Quality but thought it used to much fuel to offset the its higher capacity when compared to to ceramic.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
roaniecowpony
Cowboy

Postby roaniecowpony » Thu May 27, 2010 8:03 am

You don't have to do much argueing to convince me that a ceramic (or terra cotta) cooker will be the most fuel efficient of all the stuff out there. But a Weber Smokey Mountain has got to be a lot closer in fuel consumption to an egg than an offset. I just threw well over a grand at my offset a month ago and while I really like the capacity, doing a single brisket or a couple butts on it seems almost rediculous when you look at all the fuel needed. It's like taking a steam locomotive to the grocery store and about as much work too.

I really like the idea of the super efficient insulation of ceramics, but I'm not going to throw another grand or more at a pit at this time.

About how much fuel (charcoal) is needed to run a Weber Smokey Mountain for 10 hrs?

Is an Ugly Drum Smoker close to the Weber in fuel consumption?

Thanks
Chuck
[i][b][color=#0000BF]Chuck[/color][/b][/i]
RecTec RT-700 Platinum Pkg
Bubba Keg grill/smoker
Capt-n-Cook 600" gasser grill
26" Weber Kettle
txag01
Pilgrim

Postby txag01 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:28 am

You can reload fuel during a cook with a UDS. Put a door near the bottom of it where you can add more fuel. Making a UDS would cost a fraction of the other options. You can get a used food grade drum for 20 bucks, order a dome lid from Weber that will drop right on (check to see what size it is that will fit, one of them drops in perfectly). You probably want some sort of heat deflector, maybe one of those steel bowls you can buy for upright smokers. Once you use it a couple times and figure out to regulate your airflow just enough to keep a fire going as long as possible, you should be able to cook a brisket adding fuel only once during your cook, if any at all.

You could also just use your offset with a charcoal basket of some sort in one end of your cooking area. I've done that, works fine.
papajim
Wrangler

Postby papajim » Thu May 27, 2010 6:04 pm

Look at a Backwoods Smoker before you choose anything. Several sizes to consider.

papajim
KSims1868
Pilgrim

Postby KSims1868 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:38 am

You should have NO problem running 12-14 hours on 1 basket of fuel in a UDS.
I've done it several times using lump coal and hickory chunks.

I'm not knocking the WSM - I've never cooked on one, but I DO know that if you build a coal basket for your UDS with 1 18" charcoal grate surrounded by a expanded metal about 14" deep - you should easily be able to have extended cook times on 1 full load of fuel if you cook temps are in the 220-240* range.
2010 - the year I learned to BBQ (after 20 years of grilling)
Equipment: Homebuilt UDS (upright drum smoker) - love it. Holding temps in the 225-240* range for 15 hours on 1 basket of coal/wood chunks.
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:55 pm

I love my UDS and I can build 5 of them for what a wsm costs!The only thing you need is a good coal basket and you can cook all day long.Ive had alot of awesome bbq come of the UDS and cant see spending all the $$$$ on the wsm but to each his own.
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
newbq USER_AVATAR
NewBQ
Outlaw

Postby NewBQ » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:31 am

A UDS is cheap enough to try out...I think you'll like the results!
KSims1868
Pilgrim

Postby KSims1868 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:02 am

NewBQ wrote:A UDS is cheap enough to try out...I think you'll like the results!

That's why I tried it too. I was looking at the BGE and learned about the UDS while searching for deals on a BGE. Heck I figured for the $40 or so it cost to build my UDS it was worth a shot. If I didn't like...toss it in the trash and I was only out $40 - who cares.

As you know by now - I didn't go buy a BGE (but still want one some day).
2010 - the year I learned to BBQ (after 20 years of grilling)
Equipment: Homebuilt UDS (upright drum smoker) - love it. Holding temps in the 225-240* range for 15 hours on 1 basket of coal/wood chunks.
smokey lew USER_AVATAR
Smokey Lew
Cowboy

Postby Smokey Lew » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:26 pm

I have a 22.5" WSM and it cooks great. I usually put a layer of Stubs charcoal on the bottom of the fire grate and fill the ring up to the top with lump charcoal if I'm doing a brisket or pork butts. There's plenty of room on the racks for two or three butts each.

With two butts on the top rack and the fuel loaded as mentioned above. It can carry me through for 8 to 10 hours without refueling. Thats keeping the temperature between 225 and 250.

The WSM works for me but it wouldn't stop me from going with a UDS. You can't beat the cost and man, it's fun to build. You'll have more fun cooking on something you've built with your own hands.
Smokey Lew
Riverside, California
WSM 22.5"
Weber Performer, black
Chaney Split Drum Grill

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”