UDS Maiden Voyage

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Jason B
Wrangler

UDS Maiden Voyage

Postby Jason B » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:52 am

Been kind of on a rush since Friday. I decided about noon then that I was going to smoke a brisky for the wifey's birthday. Problem is, I don't own a smoker and I am tired of calling buddies to borrow theirs. So, I made a UDS. Burned it out Friday night and made the charcoal basket about 11 PM. Put all the hardware on it yesterday morning and got her painted last night. I still need to put handles on it and would like to build a table of some sort, just kind of ran out of time.

Anyhow, started at 4:30 this morning. This first one prolly won't be the best as I didn't have time to season. Here she is billowing that wonderful aroma (hard to see the smoke in the pic with a 25mph wind).

I had a little trouble getting the temp above 200F this morning. I had one bottom vent, a 1" ball valve. I decided I had to make another to get more heat. So I got the hole saw out at 5:45 and drilled another. Since it is in use, I can't put the other ball valve in but will after this cook. With the ball valve wide open and my second 1" hole half covered. She just purrs along right at 250F.

Well, it's not liking my pictures. Tells me they are too big. Once I get it figured out I will post em up.
niget2002
Rustler

Re: UDS Maiden Voyage

Postby niget2002 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:40 am

Sounds like the way I "plan" things :)

One quick question... wouldn't it have been easier to leave the 1" hole wide open and adjust the ball valve by half? Knowing my luck, I would have accidentally knocked over whatever I had in front of the opening. Once you get the second ball valve on, it won't matter. :)
Jason B
Wrangler

Postby Jason B » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:00 am

niget2002 wrote:Sounds like the way I "plan" things :)

One quick question... wouldn't it have been easier to leave the 1" hole wide open and adjust the ball valve by half? Knowing my luck, I would have accidentally knocked over whatever I had in front of the opening. Once you get the second ball valve on, it won't matter. :)

The 1" ball valve was already wide open and it was just sitting at 200. Didn't want to move at all.

I was worried about knocking anything over. The only thing behind where I was cutting the hole was the coal basket. I did however slosh some of my water pan out on my fire. :?

It's all good now, been right around 250 and just chuggin along.
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:13 pm

Instead of putting a 2nd ball valve in, I would put a nipple and a cap on the new hole. Just use the one balll valve to regulate the heat. I have never used a water pan in my USD.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

Jason B
Wrangler

Postby Jason B » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:09 pm

Jason B
Wrangler

Postby Jason B » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:10 pm

This was at the 4 hour mark.

Jason B
Wrangler

Postby Jason B » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:10 pm

And done. Didn't really get the smoke ring I was looking for or the bark, but I guess that will come with tinkering.

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”