Weekend UDS Build

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

talbrecht
Pilgrim

Weekend UDS Build

Postby talbrecht » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:36 pm

Ok here are some pictures and pictures from Sunday's UDS build finally.....
WP_000085.jpg
WP_000086.jpg
WP_000088.jpg
Last edited by talbrecht on Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayzi USER_AVATAR
jayzi
Rustler

Re: Weekend UDS Build

Postby jayzi » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:43 pm

Ummmmmmm..... :dont:
Weber 22.5", UDS
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:38 pm

WOW Man, I never saw a transparent one before :scratch: pretty righteous Dude! :violent: :violent: :violent:
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
talbrecht
Pilgrim

Postby talbrecht » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:45 pm

Having to figure out the picture posting thing. I think I have it now!!!
jayzi USER_AVATAR
jayzi
Rustler

Postby jayzi » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:46 pm

So you edited the post to make us look like we are crazy huh??? LOL ... Looking good!

JZ
Weber 22.5", UDS
talbrecht
Pilgrim

Postby talbrecht » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:50 pm

I didn't take a lot of pictures and haven't taken one of the lid yet. I put 4 3/4 inch stacks using nipples 5" from the outside of the lid. When doing the seasoning I figured out that I needed more exhaust since it wouldn't get above 215 degrees with all the intakes open. I drilled 2 more holes in the top and will probably put another 2 in next time I get the chance. I didnt have enough nipples to fill so I just left them open and made this cook at 375F. Works like a charm. I still need to mess with it to figure out the whole temp control thing but at least I was able to get food off the thing that night or should I say that morning.
WP_000091.jpg
talbrecht
Pilgrim

Postby talbrecht » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:53 pm

I used B&B lump with pecan and hickory chunks to season and I sure didn't want to waste the fuel so I put a couple of chickens on after I figured out how to get the temp where I wanted it. I can't wait to really use this. Thanks BluDawg. It seems like your my one man information machine!!!!! I bought a cheap metal thermo and from your suggestion that red digital from Acadamy. The metal thermo is junk but the digital works like a champ.
talbrecht
Pilgrim

Postby talbrecht » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:58 pm

One thing that I have some issues with is the grate supports. I got 22" plain grates from Academy instead of the 22.5 weber grates but the should work out fine. I used 2" stainless screws for the supports but that doesn't seem long enough. The grate on a couple of occasions slipped along the supports and fell to the bottom. I guess I will change them out for 3" unless I am missing something.
talbrecht
Pilgrim

Postby talbrecht » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:16 pm

I forgot to add the picture of the fire basket. That expanded steel is hard to make keep a shape after you wrap it around the propane tank. I think when I build the next one I will get a weed burner and heat it up red hot and let it air cool. Maybe it will take some of the spring out of it so it will come closer to round. Oh well it works. It doesn't have to look pretty.
WP_000089.jpg
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:23 am

Glad yo got it done. Check that thermo in Boiling water I have bought about a Dzn and every one is with in 2 Deg. You have to remember that a UDS is 50 deg hotter in the middle that it registers on your thermo. On your basket it is pretty easy to get to the full size of the grate. I use hog rings and pinch them around the OD capturing the Expando and it forms as you go from a flat sheet. The bigger the dia of the basket the more even the heat across the grates. I use 2.5" "U"bolts for grate supports.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:54 pm

talbrecht wrote:I forgot to add the picture of the fire basket. That expanded steel is hard to make keep a shape after you wrap it around the propane tank. I think when I build the next one I will get a weed burner and heat it up red hot and let it air cool. Maybe it will take some of the spring out of it so it will come closer to round. Oh well it works. It doesn't have to look pretty.

I used a tank the first time, just to get the general size and shape down. I have found that wearing gloves, kneeling pad and using a hard rubber mallet I can bend and hammer the expansion to form a gradual curve. I then use vise grips to hold the overlap together until I tac weld it.

A 5ft strip of expansion makes a basket 18" dia. with 4" to form the overlap.
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”