Cooking for the masses????

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jayzi USER_AVATAR
jayzi
Rustler

Cooking for the masses????

Postby jayzi » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:51 pm

Hey guys,
Just a quick question, how do y'all handle cooking for a larger group of people with the UDS? I mean I have mine set up for two racks but still don't know how that would work since the lower rack seems like it would cook too fast. I have a ECB and an Ugly Drum Smoker (finally) and I was thinking of cooking for a larger group than just my normal 4-6 people range.

Looking for suggestions, I hear a lot of people talk about cooking and just storing the meat and then reheating it?? That just seems like you are serving left overs though, not the fresh good stuff? Maybe it's just not a doable thing with the UDS huh?

JZ
Weber 22.5", UDS
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Cooking for the masses????

Postby BluDawg » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:46 pm

It would be helpful if you clued us in on what your planning to cook. I can feed allot of hot dogs off a UDS or 4 briskets or 8 chickens, or 8 pork butts or 5 racks of ribs & 3 chickens and 4 butts or two briskets :dont:
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
jayzi USER_AVATAR
jayzi
Rustler

Postby jayzi » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:38 pm

Sorry I was thinking of butts or brisket. I did 3 racks of ribs on Sunday, don't know how you got 5 on the UDS.

JZ
Weber 22.5", UDS
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:35 pm

jayzi wrote:Sorry I was thinking of butts or brisket. I did 3 racks of ribs on Sunday, don't know how you got 5 on the UDS.

JZ
Two words Rib Rack, don't have a rib rack; roll 'em & pin 'em, still don't have enough room; *wire hook 'em and hang from the grate you can do 20 racks at once and no the ones near the bottom wont burn *requires a short fire basket
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:23 pm

Need more Q, why not go double barrel? Unless you are trying to feed a football team or, as in my case, your backyard already looks like the used grill emporium. :laughing7:
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”