ok, finally found a drum for my DIY pit

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

smoking gents
Pilgrim

ok, finally found a drum for my DIY pit

Postby smoking gents » Sat May 17, 2014 8:21 pm

Now I need help. Here is what my plans are. 2, 1" ball valves screwed on 1" close nipples, 2" from bottom. I'm doing 12"x48" expanded metal coal basket and attaching, either welded or bolted, a pizza sheet for the ashes. How high should the bottom of basket be, 3 inches from bottom? Cooking grates, Starting from the top of my 55 gal drum, at what distance should I put them? Do I need more than one? One for water pan maybe. What would be best for the lid, as far as vent holes? How many and what size works best for y'all? Have looked at the Popular Mechanics link and other UDS links. Found my metal and grates now ready to begin. thanks for your help
BigDave
Bandolero

Re: ok, finally found a drum for my DIY pit

Postby BigDave » Sun May 18, 2014 8:52 am

PM Big Ed. He can steer ya right on building a UDS.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: ok, finally found a drum for my DIY pit

Postby BluDawg » Sun May 18, 2014 12:10 pm

3" off the bottom is fine for your basket IIRC mine is 4". Mine has 1 rack 7" from the top and I use a Falt lid with a 2" bung for the exhaust. The 8 3/4" hole design woks well to and helps to even out the heat across the cook surface. 7" is a good place if you need to add additional racks you can go 1" down from the top and 14" below that will give you 7" between each for good air flow. However you will need a Weber lid and that comes with its own set of issues or another drum that you can section just below the rib for a lid. I don't use a water pan odr any type of baffle I have never saw the need for it I cook H&F 300-350 with uot issue.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”