About to start my first UDS...

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

CLeeSmokinQ
Pilgrim

Re: About to start my first UDS...

Postby CLeeSmokinQ » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:16 pm

Call me cheap.. But I called a few places and 65-110 bux per drum sounds like too much.. I'm waiting on a call from a good friend once he's in town.. I may be able to get it done free..

Either way this first one I've already started so I'm just gonna go through with It.. I'm ok with learning and appreciating the hard work it takes to remove the liner lol that way I can say I've been through it lol and I learned along the way.. The drums I'm acquiring are free so I can't complain an if I gotta learn to work with it then so be it.. Nothing wrong with a little sweat an elbow grease..

I did a second burn today.. I could still see some spots on the inside that looked like the liner was still intact but that was BEFORE the second burn.. The exterior of the drum is completely stripped of an paint.. I would assume if it's hot enough to burn the outside paint off it would work on the inside no? The fire itself got HOT!!! I couldn't get within 5ft of the can without burning off some hair from my arms etc.. That's no exaggeration... The drum is darn near white now lol...

Pics to come.... :happ:
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:42 pm

I know there are some very TIGHT people out there but for around $40 for a brand new unlined barrel!!! :dont: COME ON MAN!!!! :laughing7:
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
CLeeSmokinQ
Pilgrim

Postby CLeeSmokinQ » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:53 pm

That's the thing... I can't find a new barrel , refurbished barrel seller anywhere near me..

An hey there FREE LOL..

IF it's any consolidation any money saved here is goin towards a purchase of a maverick, grillin goodies (spices, rubs, gloves, utensils, etc) 8)
CLeeSmokinQ
Pilgrim

Postby CLeeSmokinQ » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:32 pm

Pics attached ... AGAIN THESE WERE BEFORE THE SECOND BURN...
DjPorkchop
Pilgrim

Postby DjPorkchop » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:19 pm

I would put some ear plugs in, wire knotted cup brush or flap disc on grinder and clean it up, wash it out, rub with oil when dry and season run it. I am one of the ones who believe that if a 1000+ degree fire wont touch it then surely my little 225-350 heat range is not going to hurt it any. Opinions do vary on that one though.

Good luck with your drum. They are great to cook with once you get it figured out.

Take care!
CLeeSmokinQ
Pilgrim

Postby CLeeSmokinQ » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:48 pm

Thanks for the response Dj
chashint
Wrangler

Postby chashint » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:04 am

Any progress on the UDS .

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”