Well, I got the drum…

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Re: Well, I got the drum…

Postby Finatic » Wed May 25, 2016 7:32 am

bsooner75 wrote:Thanks to the rain not bothering to check with my work schedule I haven't had a chance to touch this thing yet. Maybe this weekend.

Anybody know how much it would cost to have this drum sand blasted? Just trying to weigh all my options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75

I checked into having mine powder coating (which included getting sand blasted first) and the cheapest pricing it got was going to be in the $150 range (I think the guy wanted me to build him one). I got one powder coating price of $450!. On mine I just went over the existing paint with 100 grit sandpaper, primed it with Rust-Oleam primer and painted it with two coats of Rust-Oleam paint. I did add some coals to my basket and got her hot (around 350) after I primed it and again after each coat of paint. It's only been a year but I have had any signs of paint trying to flake off or fade.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed May 25, 2016 1:08 pm

Finatic wrote:[quote="bsooner75"]Thanks to the rain not bothering to check with my work schedule I haven't had a chance to touch this thing yet. Maybe this weekend.

Anybody know how much it would cost to have this drum sand blasted? Just trying to weigh all my options.

I checked into having mine powder coating (which included getting sand blasted first) and the cheapest pricing it got was going to be in the $150 range (I think the guy wanted me to build him one). I got one powder coating price of $450!. On mine I just went over the existing paint with 100 grit sandpaper, primed it with Rust-Oleam primer and painted it with two coats of Rust-Oleam paint. I did add some coals to my basket and got her hot (around 350) after I primed it and again after each coat of paint. It's only been a year but I have had any signs of paint trying to flake off or fade.[/quote]
I

Thanks I'll go this route.

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed May 25, 2016 2:12 pm

Well, this is kind of fun ImageImage

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed May 25, 2016 2:40 pm

Annnnnnnddddd I went to fire up the torch, flipped the drum over and realized it had light holes showing through. Guess I'll be shopping for a new drum.

finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Wed May 25, 2016 2:52 pm

bsooner75 wrote:Annnnnnnddddd I went to fire up the torch, flipped the drum over and realized it had light holes showing through. Guess I'll be shopping for a new drum.

You could find a piece of flat steel, cut it to fit and add it to the bottom but that drum looks like it might not be worth it. :dont:

Prolly better off with another drum.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed May 25, 2016 4:26 pm

Gotta think you up a slicky paint job...hooooyah!

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=19987&p=166823&hilit=Deere#p166823
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:11 am

I had the pleasure of meeting Big Ed yesterday and picking up this kick butt fire basket. One heck of a nice guy and one heck of a nice fire basket! I'd you need one is recommend talking to Ed. He is the man.

ImageImage

Now to get a new drum!

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:13 am

Didn't mean to post the same image 2x.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri May 27, 2016 8:29 am

Good to see your update - - - you meet the Greatest Folks in our Passion for the "Q" :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Dodis
Pilgrim

Postby Dodis » Sat May 28, 2016 9:30 am

bsooner75 wrote:Annnnnnnddddd I went to fire up the torch, flipped the drum over and realized it had light holes showing through. Guess I'll be shopping for a new drum.

Another option is to get a Weber kettle lid (or a Walmart/dollar store grill for the lid, a 22" model). Then cut out the bottom of your barrel, mod the bottom to fit the Weber lid (forum search for mod), and use the current flat lid as a removable bottom for cleanup (ash, grease, dropped stuff).

That is part of my refurbish plan for mine this year...

Mike "Dodis"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat May 28, 2016 10:00 am

Dodis wrote:[quote="bsooner75"]Annnnnnnddddd I went to fire up the torch, flipped the drum over and realized it had light holes showing through. Guess I'll be shopping for a new drum.

Another option is to get a Weber kettle lid (or a Walmart/dollar store grill for the lid, a 22" model). Then cut out the bottom of your barrel, mod the bottom to fit the Weber lid (forum search for mod), and use the current flat lid as a removable bottom for cleanup (ash, grease, dropped stuff).

That is part of my refurbish plan for mine this year...

Mike "Dodis"[/quote]

Interesting. How do you plan to attach the removable bottom?

Dodis
Pilgrim

Postby Dodis » Sat May 28, 2016 3:09 pm

Well, I do still have the ring that holds the lid on, but my plan includes building a rolling cart with side table. So then I can attach something to the base to hold it all together.

Though sometimes, I almost need a hammer to get the lid off if I pushed it down too hard when I'm cooking...
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:13 am

Time to get back on this project. Since my last drum was rusted out it knocked me off track.

Anybody got any leads on drums around Carrollton or Little Elm? Anywhere in between?

Was hoping to get down to Dallas Steel Drums and get a new one. Just can't seem to make it fit in my schedule.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:16 am

Hey Sooner, on occasion I have seen some nice ones a the local Farm and Tractor Supply companies - - maybe check with your local feed store because a lot of farmers and ranchers use them to store grain/etc in - - - - good luck and get to work :laughing7: :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:06 pm

If you can find a place that sells used water totes they will likely have some drums. Maybe a water tank/water pump supply place (likely in more rural areas).

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”