UDS Cart

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

DjPorkchop
Pilgrim

UDS Cart

Postby DjPorkchop » Wed May 04, 2016 2:08 pm

Howdy folks! Long time no post.

I have a new project going on. I had an old gas grill that rusted up so I took the grill off and had a nice cart left over with the side burner on one side and a nice shelf on the other. So I figured I could retro fit my UDS on the cart and have a nice cart to wheel my drum around on. I got it all but put together and realized the cart is cheap and flimsy without that big old grill holding it all together nice and solid. I have been working on it trying to get it all together. Will post a shot or two as I can.

Anyone else ever used a grill cart for this purpose? I am curious what was done to shore one up strength wise.

Take care!

Ray
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: UDS Cart

Postby bsooner75 » Thu May 05, 2016 9:08 am

Looking forward to seeing what the other guys come up with for you on this one. The grill cart is a nice idea. I've seen a few pics online and it makes for a nice work space. I've considered a drum dolly for mobility but the side tables on the cart would be nice.
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Thu May 05, 2016 10:16 am

Without knowing your specific dimensions it's hard to get a read on what it'll take but you might consider offsetting the drum in the cart toward the front. Then add some angle bracing up high to get the stability of the old grill box back in place. A couple more pieces up front can be trimmed to fit the radius of the drum. If your stand is too narrow you could add a foot under the drum in the very front. Attached is a quick sketch - blue is the existing frame, red is the new angle iron support.
Attachments
drum1.jpg
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
DjPorkchop
Pilgrim

Postby DjPorkchop » Thu May 05, 2016 1:13 pm

Well actually, there is only an inch or two on either side of the drum to spare. What I need to do is take some snap shots and put them on photobucket and drop them on here for reference. I have really never measured anything. :oops:

I did go out to the garage last night and stare at the project for a little bit and thought about it. Man that cart is some cheap grade steel and flimsy as all get out to try to be lifting and moving that big heavy drum. However, I am moving forward with the project anyhow. And I did keep the side burner just because. I got a nice brass cap for the gas line that went to the grill and used teflon tape and sealed it up with the cap. So now I do have the shelf on the one side, a shelf on the other or lift the lid and warm up a pot of mop sauce or something on the side. :laughing7:
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Thu May 05, 2016 1:46 pm

DjPorkchop wrote:Well actually, there is only an inch or two on either side of the drum to spare.

Doesn't really matter.... I based the sketch on a 22" drum and a 36" (4 burner??) grill. Same principle would apply but pictures would be helpful. :dont:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
DjPorkchop
Pilgrim

Postby DjPorkchop » Fri May 06, 2016 10:02 pm

Sorry for the delay in reply. Back was hurting really bad and I was laying in bed. Here is a couple pics and a video if I can figure out how to embed video.

https://youtu.be/ETT6IIpPjjM

You can see I added the kick plate back on what was the front of the grill to add some structural support back to the cart from front to back. I need to remount the kick plate on the back side of the cart so my UDS front will face properly with my shelf and burner. Nothing some nuts, bolts and washers won't fix.

As far as the barrel hanging off the front of the cart goes, I figure I can wrap some plumbers tape up around the legs and my 18" risers and use a few bolts and snug it all up and the drum in theory won't move. Will not be pretty but that is why its called Ugly Drum I guess. :laughing7:
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Sat May 07, 2016 8:50 am

That will work just fine. Two short pieces of flat iron (1-1/4" x 1/8"???), a vice, a big hammer and a drill will allow you make brackets that attach to the legs and drum - right where your lower grate bolts are located. You might need some longer grate bolts to pass through the flat iron but I see nothing in your pictures or video that says this cart won't work.

Something along these lines perhaps?????
Attachments
drum3.jpg
DjPorkchop
Pilgrim

Postby DjPorkchop » Sat May 07, 2016 8:26 pm

That does look manageable. I will have to mess with it as soon as I can again. Terrible back issues now days.
DjPorkchop
Pilgrim

Postby DjPorkchop » Wed May 25, 2016 9:57 pm

Hi guys sorry so long between replies. I did manage to work on this some more in between laying in bed with a bad back and all that good stuff.

Here is a quick video. I hope you get to see it before it gets flagged to. Apparently when filming a video for youtube you can not be listening to any music at all in the background. :dont:

https://youtu.be/fKK3k0dvlZM

Sorry I have no pictures. And I think this weekend I am going to try and get the L braces in there to add some support between cart and drum.

Thanks for taking a look.

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”