Shortened 55 gallon UDS

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Shortened 55 gallon UDS

Postby castironchris » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:44 am

Well maybe not so much a smoker but more of a grill. I have a BPS and use the basket in the upper position for grilling sometimes and was thinking that I wanted to make a shortened drum that would only be used for grilling. I have tried to justify it in my head many different ways and about the only one that makes any sense is quicker temp control. Sounds dumb now that I type it out because the drum is the easiest thing to control temp on that I have ever cooked with. Just seems like if it does swing up a little it takes a while to get it back down and vice versa. I always thought this was due to the volume of air in the drum.I could be and probably am wrong on many accounts but if nothing else it would be easier to move around. HEY, there's another justification! Anybody ever did this or know of someone who has?? Any Advice??
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Re: Shortened 55 gallon UDS

Postby Finatic » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:20 am

I don't see a need to shorten the barrel. When I want to grill on my drum I just take use a charcoal pan from an ECB (Academy sells them for about $6) and set it either on top of my charcoal basket or on top of my bottom grate depending on how hot I want to cook. I can have charcoal within a few inches from my top grate if necessary. When cooking this way you control the temps with the exhaust on your lid. Once my coals are ready and before I get to my target temp I'll start closing the exhaust down. Usually I only have them open (I have 2 exhaust pipes) about a 1/4" each to reach 450 degrees. I've cooked many steaks on my drum and love the way it grills.
DjPorkchop
Pilgrim

Re: Shortened 55 gallon UDS

Postby DjPorkchop » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:22 pm

The million dollar question is, how do you manage to grill on the big poppa EDS without burning your fingers off? I wear BIG THICK gloves and it is still so dang hot I don't want to stick my arms that far in the drum to the grate. I will admit, she is a grilling machine. I love the big poppa EDS. I use mine as often as possible.

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”