So I got a drum

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

So I got a drum

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:50 pm

Don't really have the money to throw at a 150$ kit. Anybody got a list of materials that come in the kits, maby the plans for an ugly drum. Thank you
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Re: So I got a drum

Postby RWBTEX » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:23 am

These guys have anything you want and then some;
http://www.smokerbuilder.com/

Lots of good info here;
http://smokerbuilder.com/forums/

more;
http://bbqsmokersupply.com/

last one and good luck;
http://udsparts.com/
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:35 am

THANKS OUTLAW I WILL CHECK OUT THAT LINK.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:17 pm

I don't have any drawings on them. If you google UDS or search this site you'll find dimensions on where to place your grates, etc.

You can go pretty cheap on building a UDS or you can go all out. I'm assuming the drum you did get is a 55 gallon drum and the lid is usable.

If you haven't done so make sure there is no liner inside the drum. If it has a coating or a bronze color on the inside you'll need to burn that off which is a chore.

You'll need either 1 or 2 grates. Stores like Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes & Academy sell 22" Kettle replacement grates that will fit in a 55 gallon drum perfectly. Again you can find more dimensions on line and on this site but I recommend at least 8" clearance from the top grate and the lid to the drum. If you'll have 2 grate I'd say at least 5" between the 2 grates.

You'll need either 1 or 2 thermometers to mount on the side of your drum. This isn't a requirement if you use a digital thermometer but I highly recommend mounting at least one thermometer on the side of the drum. Comes in handy. These are available pretty much anywhere. I recommend mounting the thermometer(s) just under each grate.

You'll need 3- 1/4"x2" bolts to support each grate and a 1/4" or 5/16" drill bit.

You'll need something for air intakes at the bottom of the barrel (about 2"-3" off the bottom). An inexpensive route would be to get 3- 3/4" pipe nipples with caps and locking rings and install them as your air intakes.

You'll need a charcoal basket. There's several members on here that'll make you a welded basket depending on where you live. I can make a standard basket for $75. You can make one yourself for a little less but it won't last as long. There are videos on YouTube on how to make a charcoal basket.

You'll also need an air exhaust port on the lid. I've seen guys drill 8-3/4" diameter holes around the around edge of the lid (using a unibit or step drill bit) and use magnets to cover them up as needed. If your lid has a bung hole you can get a pipe nipple and screw right in the existing hole. Another option is to order a Weber air vent replacement kit.

Another thing that'll come in handy is a hook to pick up and lower the charcoal basket in and out of the drum. I use a pair of large boot hooks I bought at Cavenders for $10. They work great! Academy has a tool that is used to lift lids off cast iron pots and skillets that'll also work. Some guys will use a hammer. Whatever works.

That will get you started. I do recommend using stainless materials when possible. If you use any galvanized material (such as pipe nipples, bolts, etc.) make sure you burn off the galvanizing before you cook meat on it. Galvanizing is bad stuff!

Keep us posted on your progress.
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:08 pm

why do all of the instruction sheets say to have 3-4 intake tubes and have all but one of them capped off and only one with a ball valve? I have also seen where people will have one big intake with a ball valve? I have to be missing something.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:44 pm

JustinCouch wrote:why do all of the instruction sheets say to have 3-4 intake tubes and have all but one of them capped off and only one with a ball valve? I have also seen where people will have one big intake with a ball valve? I have to be missing something.

I think when I bought my new smoker I gave up on building this…or it is at least postponed indefinitely.

But, I'll take a stab at your questions.

The four intakes run wide open at start up to get as much air in as possible for the fire. Once you cap the three off they are no longer needed. The ball valve on the one remaining pipe is used to control the airflow needed for cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”