UDS Fire Wont Go Out

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

1RealSmb
Pilgrim

UDS Fire Wont Go Out

Postby 1RealSmb » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:21 pm

I am very, very new to the smoking game. It is a hobby.

I received a UDS as an early Christmas gift. I tried to do the seasoning process today, since it is brand new. Even with both ball valves closed and the back cap on, I have heavy white smoke flowing out of my four little chimneys on the lid. Even after 2 hours with the lid on, and everything closed, still heavy smoke. Today is a very very windy day, but it seems like it is burning fuel fast and I don't know what to do to control that. Any ideas?

Update: 3 hours in... Everything closed. Four chimneys open (I have no way of closing them). Still burning. Does not extinguish. Only thing I can think of is the bottom. The guy who made this thing, cut off the bottom of the barrel. Therefore you can lift the barrel off the bottom to clean the ash. So there isn't a tight seal on the bottom, as it is just sitting on the ground. Everything else should be tight.

Lid is hot. Too hot to touch. Coals are white. I don't have a temp gauge yet. No smoke coming out anymore. Just heat.

Any tips? Or is this how it is supposed to go?
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Re: UDS Fire Wont Go Out

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:29 pm

Find a way to cap the chimneys. What are the chimneys made of?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Re: UDS Fire Wont Go Out

Postby Finatic » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:18 pm

You'll have to be able to damper the chimney(s) for it to work right. That's how I dial in the temps on mine- by adjusting (closing) the smoke stacks.

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”