Looking to get a UDS project going!

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

texasrob USER_AVATAR
TexasRob
Pilgrim

Looking to get a UDS project going!

Postby TexasRob » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:07 am

Hello All,

Looking to get a UDS project going with my neighbor. I live in the Ft. Worth area and had a few questions.

1) Any leads/suggestions on where to find a new virgin drum free of any chemicals?

2) Any suggestions on a place to get it painted, a friend recommended to get a 1500 degree high heat silicone paint job. Not sure if this is necessary but , going with what he had suggested.

3) Did anyone use gasket tape or silicone sealer or both on their drum, if so was it just around the air intakes? Where else would they need to be applied?

I know there are some places on line to buy the kits for baskets, air intakes, handles etc. But I am open to any/all suggestions/input as well.

Thanks

Rob
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Looking to get a UDS project going!

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:18 am

a very common quest and question here on this Forum and there's lots of members that I'm sure will help you "git'er done" - - - also lots of members in your area that know of places to get materials. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
red farr USER_AVATAR
Red Farr
Wrangler

Postby Red Farr » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:42 am

...I got mine here , 30 or 50 gallon size , new drum never filled no coating , U.N. approved meaning it's a shipping container , painted black . I've had it to 450˚ the outside paint is still perfect no reason to repaint , price 70 bucks . Inside is raw steel , if you let it sit around it will rust so oil it or get started with it .

Dallas Steel Drums 214-638-7027 they have a web site

Red
...Blue Skies and Green Lights...
SmokeNHops
Wrangler

Postby SmokeNHops » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:15 pm

A buddy and I just started our own UDS Journey this week, too. We are in Richardson (North Dallas). I looked around at a couple local places and got some quotes. Harrel (Texas Barrel Supply) quoted $45.00 for reconditioned. Dallas Steel Drums (listed above), I got U.N. Stainless Steel Unlined with Lid for 56.00 each new. Went that route instead. Almost done assembling!
UDS - Not so ugly, but I may be biased ;)
Yoder YS640
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:53 am

Dang!! That is a great price on a stainless drum!! Y'all gonna put up pics when you are done??
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”