My first Smoker Build -- UDS

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

SmokeNHops
Wrangler

Re: My first Smoker Build -- UDS

Postby SmokeNHops » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:55 am

Well shoot, I'm pretty sure I've ruined this thing. Put it on last night around 11:30 and struggled to get any consistency with my temps. Fluctuating wildly compared to the last couple times I've smoked between 150 and 320. I'm sure its dried out to heck. I wrapped it in foiled and opened a second valve just to try and finish the thing. Such a disappointment. Hope any of it is salvageable to drench in BBQ and weep atop.
UDS - Not so ugly, but I may be biased ;)
Yoder YS640
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:14 am

Don't stress! It happens to all of us!

You may surprise yourself. Just wait until it hits that warm butter phase. Worst case scenario, you can make a mean pot 'o beans! Or you have some dog food, if you have a dog.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:39 am

SmokeNHops....

Not all is lost, trust us we've ALL done this.
Here's a good secret........
Ready ??

Grab urself a few packets of McCormick Au Jus and slice the brisket pretty thin and let it simmer in it on low/simmer for a little bit.
It will rehydrate​ it and add a nice flavor as well.
You could also slice it thin and set in a slow cooker with either gravy or sketty sauce.

Either way, u still have good eats right there.
SmokeNHops
Wrangler

Postby SmokeNHops » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:11 pm

I feared the worst but it actually turned out much better than expected. The very end of the flat is a touch drier than I would've liked but still great in the au jus. Also made a BBQ sauce that masks any dryness very well. The point and center of the brisket are really nice.

IMG_20170225_141914.jpg

IMG_20170225_141929.jpg
Yoder YS640
SmokeNHops
Wrangler

Postby SmokeNHops » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:14 pm

I really appreciate the words of encouragement! When I decided to pull the point and middle was perfect on the probe test. I was worried about over cooking that side so pulled with the flat still having a bit of resistance.
Yoder YS640
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:19 pm

Congrats :tup: :salut: :cheers: don't you just love it when all your expectations are WRONG :?: :laughing7: :D :lol:

Just pullin yer leg a little - - - I do the same thing all the time, in spite of :banghead:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
SmokeNHops
Wrangler

Postby SmokeNHops » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:50 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Congrats :tup: :salut: :cheers: don't you just love it when all your expectations are WRONG :?: :laughing7: :D :lol:

Just pullin yer leg a little - - - I do the same thing all the time, in spite of :banghead:

I do indeed! Overall, I'm happy with the first brisket run on the drum. I've got lean slices that I've been rehydrating with broth (thanks woodenvisions), point slices which are great, and chopped some up that I mixed with a homemade bbq sauce (which i love).

Some goals/steps next time are:

1. Getting the drum at a consistent temp
2. Getting the flat probe tender
3. True Salt/Pepper rub (did a blended seasoning my wife got me)
4. Getting some bark on it. Got a little but ended up feeling the need to wrap in foil and the roast effect took my bark...
Yoder YS640
SmokeNHops
Wrangler

Postby SmokeNHops » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:47 am

Couldn't decide what to cook today while I was going to be around the yard getting ready for spring so I got a few things.

10lb pork shoulder went on at 8am:
IMG_20170325_070928.jpg

3lb corned brisket flat went on shortly after:
IMG_20170325_075742.jpg

I've got a dozen chicken thighs I'll throw on later for the Mrs., too.

Learned my lesson today. Fired up the chimney starter and then realized I didn't have enough charcoal for my basket and a 10hr cook. Fired off some text messages to guys in the neighborhood and someone had a bag to bail me out.

Using oak chunks for flavor and a combination of Royal Oak/central market brand mesquite lump.
Yoder YS640
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:49 am

Looks like you've got yer Groove Going :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
SmokeNHops
Wrangler

Postby SmokeNHops » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:17 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Looks like you've got yer Groove Going :tup: :salut: :cheers:

1 for 1 so far today!

IMG_20170325_153003.jpg

Wrapped around 155, pulled at 203. In the cooler for a couple hours and just sliced to taste. Good stuff!
Yoder YS640

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”