1st UDS build advice request

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Samvan77
Pilgrim

1st UDS build advice request

Postby Samvan77 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:14 am

Hi all, I am a newbie from across the pond seeking some advice please. Last week I have started my first UDS build however due to poor research on my behalf I bought a drum that was painted and lacquered inside out. I have hung out out once and sanded it back to bare metal surface on the inside and I am going to repeat this for the outside today. I have attached photos for reference. My question to is this, would you say the inside surfaces are now safe to season and smoke food in? Or do you think I should burn it and sand again?ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: 1st UDS build advice request

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:44 am

Welcome, Sam, do you have any idea what the drum was used for before you got it ?orig contents?

Here's a thread with some previous posts about UDS builds that you might want to browse thru also.

search.php?keywords=UDS+Builds&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

GOOD LUCK :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Samvan77
Pilgrim

Postby Samvan77 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:17 am

Hi thanks for the welcome. The drums was used for shipping fruit juice concentrates. It had a green paint/lacquered coating inside which I stripped off to get the drum back to a bare metal surface. So I am hoping that this will now be ready to be seasoned.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:34 am

This is just a guess on my part and in no way am I an expert - - - - However, I would think :?: :dont: that if you do a couple of good burns in it and then season it then it should be OK for BBQ'n and Smokin' :roll:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:38 am

Do a good hot open top burn in it. Then season it like any other pit.

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”