Antler handle?

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Dano68
Pilgrim

Antler handle?

Postby Dano68 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:50 am

Anyone ever use an antler for a lid handle on a uds? I didn’t know if it would get too hot where it would smell like smoldering bone.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Antler handle?

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:57 am

I've used many for knife handles and etc but never anything that could get or remain hot - - - however, I would think that if you had a spring/etc type heat pre-handle that could diffuse the heat prior to the antler it might be OK - - - Antlers don't hold up well even in the hot sun for long periods so good luck with this and keep us updated if you try something :tup: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:34 am

Used Antler for inlay work with wood and I can say that when it's cut and/or sanded it puts off an odd smell.

I don't think it would smell in ur situation but I would guess it would hold the heat in so I'd be cautious.

I could be wrong, but just a hunch.

Good luck
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:14 am

This one isn't my area of expertise, but the question and replies got me curious. The answer to making the antler last and the smell issue MAY be to apply varnish or some sort of poly to it. A quick google search seemed to indicate it's done in some taxidermy and craft circles. Just a thought. :)
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”