UDS Build

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Fri May 30, 2008 1:33 pm

bowhnter wrote:How long has it been on, and what is your temp now? The cold meat will have an impact on the temp readings for a while.

Are you using a therm mounted in the side, or a probe sitting on a grate?

How close to the meat is it?

I put them on at about 7:15am. I finally went to bed for a few hours. It's now 1:30 and I just woke up and checked on it. It's at about 150* now. Mom said that at one point it got to 200*.

I havent checked the meat temps, but am about to and I will edit this post with that info.

The 2 grates are 6" apart and the temp probe is 3" below the top grate. The probe is clear of the grate.

I think that I am gonna pull the meat and put it in the...errrr...well.... ummmm.... oven... :out:

EDIT: The temps are 138* and 139* on the two packers on the top rack at 1:50 PM.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri May 30, 2008 2:07 pm

Sounds like the fire isn't getting enough air. Are all the intakes open? What temp was the drum when you put the meat in? That much meat would be hard to recover temp if you didn't run the drum temp up higher than what you were going to cook at. Try kicking the drum a little to knock the ashes clear of the fire. the bottom of the fire basket may be clogged with ash. Just lightly kick.
Jim
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Fri May 30, 2008 2:21 pm

OSD wrote:Sounds like the fire isn't getting enough air. Are all the intakes open? What temp was the drum when you put the meat in? That much meat would be hard to recover temp if you didn't run the drum temp up higher than what you were going to cook at. Try kicking the drum a little to knock the ashes clear of the fire. the bottom of the fire basket may be clogged with ash. Just lightly kick.

Tried kicking it already! :lol:

Actually the temp peaked at about 375* when getting it started. I dont remember what the temp was when the meat went on. If I remember right it was around 200* as I though the temp would come on up with no problems. I set the meat out for about 30 minutes prior to putting it on the smoker. at one point I removed the lid hoping to get the temp to eventually rise but it didn't.

Do you think that maybe I should drill another intake? Start off with a small one and if that helps hit it with a larger step on the step drill?

EDIT: I drilled a 3/8" exhaust hole and the temp jumped up 25* in about 10 minutes. I went ahead and opened it up to 1" so I can get a nipple on it when I am done cooking.

Right now I have three 1" intake holes (One 3/8" ball valve, one 3/4" nipple w/ plug (unplugged for cook) and the new hole) and I have four 1" exhaust holes w/ 3/4" 90's on them. With adding the third (and possible the 4th) intake, I should go ahead and give it more exhaust, huh?
Chuck

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri May 30, 2008 3:24 pm

Wow 4 packers in 1 drum? That thing is full! I wonder if the airflow is resticted at all preventing your fire to breath?

Got any pics?
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Fri May 30, 2008 3:41 pm

Well, after I added the 3rd intake I removed the bung hole cap. I also foiled all four packers so the lid was on and off several times. It spiked at about 350* and is very slowly creeping it's way back down. Right now the ball valve is about 10% open and the one nipple is plugged. I'm watching close so it doesn't go too low.
Chuck

bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Fri May 30, 2008 4:18 pm

Hey Chuck, we can get some others opinions, but you had them briskets in the 40-140 zone for about 6-7 hrs....just want to get other opinions on if its OK.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri May 30, 2008 4:28 pm

With 1" holes using 3/4' elbows on the exhaust, I think you will need 6 - 8 exhaust holes to get enough exhaust. Most of the guys using just holes in the lid are using six 3/4" holes spaced around the top. For intake the three should work, one with a valve and 2 w/plugs. But a 4th w/plug won't hurt anything. :D One thing to remember when making adjustments---they take a little time 10-20 minutes--so make small adjustments and be patient for results. :D
Jim
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri May 30, 2008 4:48 pm

7AM til 2PM = 7 hours plus prep time and it still was only 138*. That's a long time in the danger zone. I'd be careful. JMHO--YMMV
Jim
Puck
Pilgrim

Postby Puck » Sat May 31, 2008 1:07 am

Im gonna guess, Chuck jumped ship and went to the oven to save the meat until the bugs are worked out.

From everything I have had time to read from yall souped up UDS folks, looks like it is hands down! Twice as much exhaust as intake! But have at LEAST: 3ea 1 inch id holes for intake.

Can I get an Amen here?
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat May 31, 2008 1:18 am

Well, I'm gonna agree with ya on the 2x outgo as intake, but I only have 2 1" intakes on my barrels... :D
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sat May 31, 2008 1:19 am

Well, I got my drums finished today. At some point this went from a fun build into survival mode. I think the switch happened after I was awake 66 hours for work and then came home to build the drums. That, or the drum work just didn't go right, but I was too tired and rushed to fiddle with it. I dunno.

Came home to this:

Anyway, after coming home Wednesday night and passing out, I got back to work on Thursday by grinding the rust and paint off.

From there, I coated each drum with high-temp white paint, followed by silver.
Image Image

I also cleaned out the insides and coated them with oil, but I guess I did a cruddy job. They look like . . . um, well, ya know. :oops:

Anyway, today I painted each drum with black hammered-finish paint, 2 coats. It needs 3, and you can really see the brush strokes, but that's where the "survival mode" kicked in. I'm at the "just get me through this, Lord" phase. I don't care what it looks like, long as it cooks. No energy to do anything else.

Anyway, here's the 3 stooges: Moe, Larry, and Shemp.
(they were going to be Billy, Dusty, and Frank, Tres Hombres, but after the way the build went, and the paint job they got, ... :oops: )

They had to be done today because I had to cook 6 packers for a charity fishing tournament. Unfortunately, Moe isn't quite ready as I was short 8 washers and 4 nuts for the build. So Bob pulls through again. Temps running 220° or thereabouts, not quite where I expected, but it'll do for now.

2 packers on Larry, start and at the 6-hr flip:
Image Image

And Bob, same times
Image Image

Finally, a cool shot at the flip.
Last edited by TX Sandman on Sat May 31, 2008 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sat May 31, 2008 1:22 am

Puck wrote:From everything I have had time to read from yall souped up UDS folks, looks like it is hands down! Twice as much exhaust as intake! But have at LEAST: 3ea 1 inch id holes for intake.

Can I get an Amen here?

I know of several folks with a single 1" intake that smoke just fine.

I'll go with 2+:1 exhaust ratio, though. I'm at 4+:1 on mine. (2-3/4" intakes, 2-1.5+" exhausts)
Rob - TX Sandman

Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat May 31, 2008 5:26 am

They look good Rob. :D Hope everything goes great for the benefit cook. :D I know it will. :wink: 8) Nice pics of the first smoke. :D

I agree at least 2 to 1 exhaust to intake. Once you are up to temp and cooking most of the intake is closed. :D

Now where did Chuck run off to. :dont: :D
Jim
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sat May 31, 2008 5:56 am

Lookin good Rob!

Chuck, no pics?
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sat May 31, 2008 6:47 am

Haven't cooked a brisket in my drum yet, but I hope they turn out lookin that good!
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”