UDS Build

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:16 am

Aloha Jim... Very nice work! I was thinking of building a UDS but I found out a way to use just the upright on my Gator pit. I am interested in how your "mini" works. Be the just right size when I que for just the wife and I, like yesterday. Used the Weber kettle and it was good :)

Thanks for sharin' your project...

ahui hou,
honu41
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:31 pm

After seeing how much fun you guys have had building and using a UDS. I had to give it a try.
Birth of a UDS(I hope) :lol:
Burn out
I read the entire thread, gonna be stealing alot of the things you guys have done. I think I have most of the stuff to finish. Two things I don't have are the fire box and the intake and exhaust fixtures. That is where I need help.
What are your likes and dislikes? Would you do anything different?
HELP :lol: :lol: :lol:
a stumpted toe hurts
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:01 pm

Looks like you're off to a good start. :D

Intake - I would use four 3/4". 2 with ball valves and two with caps.

Are you going to use the flat lid or a kettle lid?? That will help with what to use for exhaust. The kettle lid will already have an exhaust in it. Also depends on the type of flat lid you have. Does it have bung holes in it??
Jim
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:15 pm

Jim, I will be using the flat lid. No bung hole.
Jim, I noticed on the twins you used ball valves on the intake. Were you concerned about the nylon rings? I looked at using gate valves????
a stumpted toe hurts
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:50 pm

No, just use brass ball valves made for plumbing. No problems with them they really don't get hot. :D They are cheaper. Check at Harbor Freight, they always have them on sale. :D
Jim
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:14 pm

I see! What a bout the exhaust? Two 1" one 2"?
Fuel basket, would you do anything different? I like your design, do you like it. Any mods?
a stumpted toe hurts
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:24 am

I like the basket fine, it works great. :D I like the round basket ( the twins ) a little better than the square one I did first, but either work fine. :D
On the exhaust. I think if I were going to do another flat top, I would do it with just drilled holes in the lid. Alot of guys are having real good luck doing this and seems to have a little more even temp from side to center they are saying. Find the center of the lid and draw a circle 14" in diameter. Then they drill 8 holes evenly spaced around the circle. Some are using 1/2" and some are using 3/4" holes but, either way they seem to work real good. Then they use thin refrigerator magnets to adjust or close the openings. If you go with the raised pipe exhaust, I would go with four 1" evenly spaced around the 14" circle. This will help with temp difference side to center. :D
Jim
jlabolt USER_AVATAR
jlabolt
Rustler

Postby jlabolt » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:35 pm

Spent a little time assembling my UDS this weekend. As you can see by the photos mine is very similar to some of the designs already in this post. Of course, there isn't a lot of room for variation, I guess. Just need to get the intakes and the termometer mounted. Then a little paint and it'll be ready for a test run.

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:41 pm

Nice build. :D I think I've seen a charcoal basket similar to that one. :scratch: :D :lol: :lol:
Jim
jlabolt USER_AVATAR
jlabolt
Rustler

Postby jlabolt » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:42 pm

Yeah OSD, I'm sure you have. You seem to have had good luck with that design from what I've read. I was talking to a friend of mine at work about the build and he asked to see some pics, so I showed him a few. A couple of days later he had me come over to his work area and the basket was framed up. Hope it works as good as it looks.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:43 pm

Looks good jlabolt. Let us know how that single center exhaust works out.
jlabolt USER_AVATAR
jlabolt
Rustler

Postby jlabolt » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:48 pm

I am kind of concerned about that myself. I'm sure it'll work just fine, but it's only a hair bigger than 2". Hope that's enough.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:14 pm

I know that when I built my first UDS, I had 2 1" intakes and 2 1" exhausts and had trouble getting the temp of and stabilized. I added two more 1" exhausts and it purrs along now... With the taller stack on yours, it might increase the draft enough to work. Guess there is only one way to find out! 8)
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Re: UDS Build

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:53 am

Gotta question about the exhaust on a drum.

I am planning on making a new one. I will go with four 3/4" pipe nipples like my old one for the intake, but those little wheels in my head are turning for the exhaust.

Would one 5" exhaust in the center of the lid be just as good as five 1" exhausts spread out evenly towards the outside edges of the lid?

Also, would the height of the exhaust stack(s) make any difference?

I haven't read though this thread in awhile and I just got home and am headed to bed so I don't have the time to reread it right now, but didn't I see somewhere that you should have at least a 2:1 on the intake/exhaust?

:dont:
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Re: UDS Build

Postby OSD » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:03 am

I think 5" exhaust would be too big. I tried several sizes before I ended up using a 3" center exhaust on my one ( 2" will work fine also ). And yes height does make a difference on the stack. 8"--12" seems to work the best. Too tall doesn't want to draw right. JWWFM-YMMV

Jim

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”