UDS Build

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:24 pm

DATS - I have seen some with one exhaust, usually a 2" or larger. I have not seen any with only one intake. The reason for that, I would think, is because of the size that the intake would have to be. I have 3 - 1/2" intakes, and I'm going to modify that to 3 - 3/4" intakes for more air flow. Also. if you use the minion method, you probably need multiple intakes to account for the location of the fire in the firebox.
Also, some UDS owners believe that having several exhaust holes placed on the outside diameter of the lid helps to disperse the heat, rather than having a significant hotspot.
Just MHO.....
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:38 pm

James: You might be right about the dutch oven not drawing enough air. Would like to see a picture of your fire basket if it is handy.
Is it a nuisance to re fuel the smoker in mid smoke? Guess you would have to take the meat and grill off and put some more chunks of mesquite in the firebox.
Stan
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:45 pm

Hey Stan. I have not yet needed to add fuel to the UDS during a cook. I've run as long as 14 hours and still had coals left over, but yes, if for some reason you need to refuel, you would need to remove the food grate and eve that is not a big deal as long as you have some place to set it... :)
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:52 pm

Thanks for all the info. That's great news about them burning so long. About how much fuel did you start with?
I'm on a quest tomorrow to find a lid for my barrel.
Stan
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:08 pm

I just ran out to the garage to take a quicky pic of one of the coal baskets I had made. It is a bit big, but I didn't give the welder any specific instructions. This one uses the coal grate from a 22 1/2" Weber kettle and the expanded around it is about 12" tall. Next time, I will tell him to cut it down to about 4"s. It sits on 4" sections of rebar welded on as legs.

I use the Minion method for firing it up and probably use about 10lbs of charcoal a some wood chunks when doing an extended cook... I'm going to have a smaller basket made for smaller/quicker cooks.

Not a great pic, but here it is.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:10 pm

Stan41 wrote:Thanks for all the info. That's great news about them burning so long. About how much fuel did you start with?
I'm on a quest tomorrow to find a lid for my barrel.
Stan

I've seen where some folks are using lids from rescued Weber kettles on their drums. The Weber lids don't fit my barrels tho... You might see if one will fit yours and if it does, check out Craigslist for folks trying to unload kettles for cheap.

James.
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:25 pm

I may have the lid to my barrel somewhere around here. If I don't, I have a friend who runs a welding shop in town. He is a really good source for stuff like that, expanded metal, short pieces of rod, etc
I have two or three tops to old Brinkman smokers, but I think they are too small for my barrel. Don't have a Weber.

Craig's list wouldn't do me much good. The nearest place that has Craigs list is Austin which is 100 miles from here.

I'll come up with one.

I really should finish the project I am now on before I start on the UBS. I have my own cookshack in the back yard. (Not my wife's). I am building a chuck wagon box to go in it. Don't have a wagon, but I like the design of the old chuck wagon boxes so I am trying to build one as authentic as possible. Square nails and everything.
Best,
Stan
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:29 pm

James: Thanks for posting the picture of your basket. That looks simple enough I think I could make one with wire and not have to enlist the welding talents of my welder friend. I have enlisted his talents so much that I don't want to "Wear out my Welcome"
Stan
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:30 pm

Well, good luck to ya! Keep us posted as ya go...

Would love to see some pics of that chuck wagon box when you get a chance.

James.
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:48 pm

I will post pictures of the chuck box when/if I ever get it finished. It is kind of a slow go.
Stan
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:54 am

JamesB, how far down from the top lip of the barrel did you put your cooking grates? Do you have 1 or 2 cooking levels in yours ? If more than 1, how much space between the grates?
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:47 pm

OSD,

I would have to measure to be sure, but the first grate is about 6" down from the lid. In the second barrel I do have two grates they are about 5" apart.

James.
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:23 pm

Would 6" be enough for a packer brisket or a butt? For some reason I thought you'd need more space than that.

I have some ideas for new mods to a drum. We'll see how it all works out.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:11 pm

I have not done any butts on these new'er' UDSs, but briskets fit just fine. I just eyeballed it when placing the grates in. I will measure it when I get home and let ya know for sure. It may be more than 6" cause I think a butt would fit.

James.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:19 pm

Well I decided to give making a UDS a go. Thought it might be a fun project. :D
Found a barrel in the back of the shop I was going to use for a trash barrel, It had salad oil in it originally and was unlined. Then I got a top from a friend. Some light rust on the inside, but it brushes right off. Looks worse than it really is in the pics. So, I now have a barrel to go with.

ImageImage

Started looking around the shop and found some pipe and some 16 ga steel. So I cut the pipes and made some spring loaded adjusting plates for them. A 3" for the exhaust and a 2" for the intake.

ImageImage

Bought some expanded metal and cut and bent some more of the 16 ga metal to make a charcoal basket.

ImageImageImageImage

I made the basket 14" square and 8 1/2" tall. The basket part on top is 5" deep. Then a 2" airspace opening then an ash pan on the bottom with 1 1/4' sides. Thought maybe with the ashpan under the charcoal basket, it would make for easier cleanup. I also added a folding handle to make it easier to get the basket in and out of the drum. The hole in the handle is for a rod I made with a hook on it to raise and lower the basket.

Over the next couple days I hope to weld the intake and exhaust pipes in place, drill the holes for the bolts to hold the grates, and clean up and repaint the barrel.
Please excuse the poor welds, I'm way out of practice. :oops:
Jim

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”