No smoke coming from my UDS??

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bluz USER_AVATAR
Bluz
Outlaw

Re: Nomoke coming from my UDS??

Postby Bluz » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:41 pm

and with that said Jim, I got a new shipment of Food Grade drums today. Just had to get that in there. Pony I dont have a UDS only my offset. I get small blue smoke on my cooks for most of the time, and have used some green mixed in when I was running low of seasoned, and did get much more smoke than i wanted, but unless I close my exhaust, I dont seem to get the bitter taste in my bark, but if you look at my cooks, its not a normal for me to get a deep black bark on anything I cook. Now I am sure that the green is doing some smoldering for a bit, before really drying out, and for me IMO, choking the exhaust down in any cook will cause me to get the cresote looking and tasting meat. WIDE OPEN for me all the time.
Bluz

Bluz Q and Custom Cooking
Custom Trailer Pit(Mattie)
Weber Grill
Amana Gas Grill
Weber 22" WSM
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: No smoke coming from my UDS??

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:22 pm

I think the exception to the chimney wide open rule are the ceramics. I typically have the intake open to a thumbs width (course adj) and the exhaust down to a sliver (fine adj). If I had 'em both fully open.... 750°+ (high as the gauge goes). So if you're not cooking in a expensive flower pot, the rule is leave the exhaust wide open at all times -even on a WSM. :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”