Found my good knife

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sparetimetoys USER_AVATAR
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Found my good knife

Postby sparetimetoys » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:21 pm

I got around to doing some more cleaning and unpacking of family heirlooms (junk) that have been boxed up for years. We had a bar/restaurant back in the mid 80s that we sold when mom and pop moved south for dads health. I have been moving this priceless crap around four years. I'm tossing most of it but going thru and checking what's in the box pre trash. Today I found my old butcher knife. It's carbon steel and I want to restore the blade and use it again. It is sharp as ever just discolored. Any ideas how to make the blade less nasty looking?Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Re: Found my good knife

Postby ChileFarmer » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:32 pm

Me, I would wash it, sharpen it if needed,oil the blade and use the heck out of it. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Found my good knife

Postby BluDawg » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:24 pm

Scotch brite pad and elbow grease will remove the surface stuff. On my carbon steel knives I do a forced patina to protect the surface from oxidation(rust). It is an easy thing to do sort of like bluing on your shotgun. Take some yellar mustard and coat the blade evenly on both sides and wrap it in a paper towel let it sit over night. In the morning remove the towel rinse off the mustard dry the blade enjoy your knife.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB

Return to “Pit Accessories, Stokers, Thermometers and Knives”