Problems with temperatures

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tvernon
Pilgrim

Problems with temperatures

Postby tvernon » Wed May 28, 2014 4:20 pm

Can anyone explain what's going on here other than the obvious? I have the electronic thermomitor in the smoker about midway in the chamber both vertically and horizontally, while the Pit mounted one is more towards the top. Like the last 20% or so. There is always a huge difference, but I can't explain it nor know which one too trust.

Also, this is a thin metal vertical cooker with an offset firebox at the bottom if that helps.

http://www.brinkmann.net/outdoor_cookin ... 855-6303-S

Thank in advance,

Tyler :texas:
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Problems with temperatures

Postby BluDawg » Wed May 28, 2014 6:11 pm

First if you can verify the calibration on the pit therm that would eliminate that. In verticals the top is always the hot spot and you need to rotate your meat.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
tpitbullx
Pilgrim

Postby tpitbullx » Wed May 28, 2014 8:01 pm

I am not sure if this will help, but set your oven at 250 degrees and then place your electronic thermometer in there and check out the readings. If it gives you a high reading, more than likely it's going to be the device and not your smoker. Hope it helps
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Wed May 28, 2014 9:42 pm

First off, I would not trust a Brinkman thermometer over an electronic thermometer, especially if you have calibrated your electronic. The only mechanical thermometer I halfway trust is the Tel-Tru. As Dawg said, temps vary throughout the pit. Make sure you are on the same level when doing comparisons.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed May 28, 2014 10:01 pm

Okie Sawbones wrote:First off, I would not trust a Brinkman thermometer over an electronic thermometer, especially if you have calibrated your electronic. The only mechanical thermometer I halfway trust is the Tel-Tru. As Dawg said, temps vary throughout the pit. Make sure you are on the same level when doing comparisons.

+1. I have a Tel Tru mechanical on my comp pit, but have had real good luck with my $40 Redi Chek digital with the stainless leads
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
tvernon
Pilgrim

Postby tvernon » Thu May 29, 2014 9:17 am

tpitbullx wrote:I am not sure if this will help, but set your oven at 250 degrees and then place your electronic thermometer in there and check out the readings. If it gives you a high reading, more than likely it's going to be the device and not your smoker. Hope it helps

Ok, so that answers my questions on how to calibrate it. I never thought of the oven idea. I'll stick both in there as suggested tonight and see what pops out correct.

I'll report back tonight.

Thanks guys,

Tyler :texas:
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu May 29, 2014 10:59 am

tpitbullx wrote:I am not sure if this will help, but set your oven at 250 degrees and then place your electronic thermometer in there and check out the readings. If it gives you a high reading, more than likely it's going to be the device and not your smoker. Hope it helps

Oven temps are notoriously inaccurate. The only way to calibrate an electronic device is to measure boiling water, which we know is 212*.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Thu May 29, 2014 12:44 pm

if it reads 212 for boiling water and 32 for iced water,you're good to go!
tvernon
Pilgrim

Postby tvernon » Thu May 29, 2014 2:09 pm

Okie Sawbones wrote:

Oven temps are notoriously inaccurate. The only way to calibrate an electronic device is to measure boiling water, which we know is 212*.

dub' wrote:if it reads 212 for boiling water and 32 for iced water,you're good to go!

Cant you super heat/cool the water beyond those points though? And is this a rolling boil, or the start of the boil?
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Thu May 29, 2014 2:39 pm

tvernon wrote:

Cant you super heat/cool the water beyond those points though? And is this a rolling boil, or the start of the boil?

Bring the water to a roiling boil - - - that's as hot as it can get unless you change the atmospheric pressure.

For the 32* check simply stir the probe end vigorously in a glass full of ice/water for 30 seconds or so.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:23 pm

Bet the problem is with brinkmann thermometer. If it has a nut on the back side of the face, it can be calibrated using the hot water method. If it doesn't have the ability to be adjusted, I'd trash it and buy one that does. 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
tvernon
Pilgrim

Postby tvernon » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:01 pm

So, I never got around to dealing with the issue, but I did get around to cooking again so I figured "to heck with it, I've been cooking good Q' too this point, one more round wont hurt." Low and behold, with the same type of wood, this happened

So now I really don't know. Maybe I'll go buy two good thermometors and just install them and be done with it. This is just getting sort of odd.

Return to “Pit Accessories, Stokers, Thermometers and Knives”