Stoker Question

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

speed USER_AVATAR
Speed
Bandolero

Stoker Question

Postby Speed » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:11 am

Anyone here have experience with the Stoker fan system? I'm thinking about getting one for the WSM but have a question. Is it possible to program it to increase temps at set intervals? Say I wanted to cook at 225 for an hour, increase to 250 the next hour and so on….. Any input is appreciated.
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Smoke-Kings-Ba ... 621281240/
email us at smokekingsbarbecue@gmail.com

"The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!"
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Stoker Question

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:48 am

I looked at their website. The software for controlling the device via Wi-Fi is open-source. If you know someone who is a programmer, it should be feasible to be able to control the pit temps increases you want. The description of existing programs made no mention of that function, other than you can increase/decrease in real time via a smart phone or computer. Google the nakedwhiz, they have a fairly indepth review of the product. 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jmcrig USER_AVATAR
jmcrig
Bandolero

Postby jmcrig » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:29 am

I have one of the original Stokers, works well but not programmable. Purchased the WiFi one and have never been able to get it to connect. There service department wasn't much help either. Went to BBQ Guru, and have been very happy. Even connects to my phone via Pit Pal. YMMV
Mark Crigler
hotch USER_AVATAR
Hotch
Wrangler

Postby Hotch » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:50 pm

I have used the Stoker for 3-4 years. I truly like it. I have both the old and the new wireless ones. I prefer to use a cord and not to go wireless. More stable in my neighborhood. That said I don't have any experience with the other pit controllers. I use a program called "Stoker Log" You can go to the Virtual Weber forum (http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?21889-S ... 0-Release/). Amir is the creator of the software. Look on my screen shot and you can see a box for ramped cook. If I can get it to post.Image
24x42 Shirley with Warmer
GMG Ledge Prime
Large Big Green Egg
MiniMax Big Green Egg
2 Mini Big Green Eggs
Gateway 55gal
R&V Fryer
17" Blackstone Griddle
:texas:
Prosper TX :mrgreen:
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:34 pm

Hotch, Big Welcome and Thank You for the great info.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
hotch USER_AVATAR
Hotch
Wrangler

Postby Hotch » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:50 am

Thank you for the welcome.
24x42 Shirley with Warmer
GMG Ledge Prime
Large Big Green Egg
MiniMax Big Green Egg
2 Mini Big Green Eggs
Gateway 55gal
R&V Fryer
17" Blackstone Griddle
:texas:
Prosper TX :mrgreen:
stephen2323
Pilgrim

Postby stephen2323 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:05 am

I love my stoker. You can set up ramp times. You can set it up off your home network and control it from anywhere you have Internet access. I can be at work and control my smoker. Pretty accurate on my homemade insulated vault smoker. It will hold + or - 1 degree through an entire cook. That's using a mixture of lump coal and wood chunks on a smoker with 45sf of cooking grates. You will not be dissappointed with it. I would recommend calling them and give them your pit specifics before ordering so you get the right blower. To big of a blower can cause you to have temp over shooting problems with it. Mine will overshoot 10 degrees so I always set my target temp for 210 and will over shoot to 220. Once it over shoots I will then adjust target temp to 220 and let it ride. I have went through 40 hour cooks on my smoker when i was trying to see how long my smoker would go on one basket of fuel and was able to hold + or - 1 degree through entire burn with the stoker. I would also recommend the stoker log. A lot of neat features with stoker log.

Return to “Pit Accessories, Stokers, Thermometers and Knives”