Dome temp gauge stem length

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Dome temp gauge stem length

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:24 pm

Hi all,
I know there has been plenty of head scratching frustrations regarding stock temp gauges on all types of grills and smokers.
I haven't escaped that with my Acorn either as most of us know the stock gauge is anything but stellar...
Besides taking forever to detect correct temperatures I have found this one is off by 40 ( yes FORTY degrees ) and that is totally unacceptable to me as I'm sure everyone.
Now I'm going to order a replacement and go with Tel Tru as I have heard great things about them.
The big question I have is this...

I'm thinking of going with a 4" stem instead of the stock 2.5 " stem in hopes of getting a more accurate grate temp knowing that it will be a little closer.
I know it's not much closer so I was wondering if anyone here has tried this ? Who knows, it might not change much but it was just a thought.
Now with that being said, I know I should get a dual probe wireless thermometer like the 732 or 733 but I'm not ready to pull that trigger because I hear conflicting reviews on them and the biggest one I hear is probe problems.
Does anyone on here know of a newer or updated option or maybe another more reliable brand ?

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions :)
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Dome temp gauge stem length

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:31 am

woodenvisions wrote:Hi all,
I know there has been plenty of head scratching frustrations regarding stock temp gauges on all types of grills and smokers.
I haven't escaped that with my Acorn either as most of us know the stock gauge is anything but stellar...
Besides taking forever to detect correct temperatures I have found this one is off by 40 ( yes FORTY degrees ) and that is totally unacceptable to me as I'm sure everyone.
Now I'm going to order a replacement and go with Tel Tru as I have heard great things about them.
The big question I have is this...

I'm thinking of going with a 4" stem instead of the stock 2.5 " stem in hopes of getting a more accurate grate temp knowing that it will be a little closer.
I know it's not much closer so I was wondering if anyone here has tried this ? Who knows, it might not change much but it was just a thought.
Now with that being said, I know I should get a dual probe wireless thermometer like the 732 or 733 but I'm not ready to pull that trigger because I hear conflicting reviews on them and the biggest one I hear is probe problems.
Does anyone on here know of a newer or updated option or maybe another more reliable brand ?

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions :)

Any digital thermometer you buy is subject to probe problems most of them are operator error like submersing the probe wires in water, pinching the wire, over heating the wire while grilling.
I own two of the older Maverick ET-73's and love them. My oldest (going on 9 yrs old) just quit. Now you can call it luck or I just take care of my equipment. I have changed probe wires on my units 5 or 6 times. I just ordered a replacement they are on sale for 29.00.
If you want to go a cheaper digital route I also use AccuRite digital single probes for grate or meat. You can buy a grate clip from Maverick or prop the probe up another way.
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/acurite ... tid=119052
http://www.maverickhousewares.com/parts ... rill-clips
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:54 am

I had a probe go out on my ET-733 and maverick sent me a new one no questions asked. They also recommended wrapping the wires in heavy foil to keep them from getting punched in my smoker door. I've been pleased with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:26 pm

Hi guys, thanks for that link and info. I have a master forge digital thermometer that is quite a few years old and haven't had a single problem with it most likely that I take care of the probe and know not to submerge it or crimp it.

I was just curious about the maverick probes and figured a lot of the complaints were due to user error but just wanted to hear from someone that has one.
I'll probably get the 733 this weekend from Amazon.
Also gonna get a tel tru for the dome since the stock one is not only useless, but completely broken... ( the needle popped off of the pin ) when I pulled it out from the dome to measure the stem )

Got to love the quality right there !!
rodcrafter USER_AVATAR
Rodcrafter
Wrangler

Postby Rodcrafter » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:17 pm

Make sure the "dome" gauge you buy is calibrate able so you can set it with your digital then you can trust it.

Making memories.
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:43 pm

Coming in late on this and didn't read all so apologize in advance if this was covered.

Temp is in tip. I suggest shortest tip you can get - that way there is less of a chance of thermometer hitting something cooked high in the dome. Like a turkey or getting bent hitting a CI pot. Been there.

Assuming your kamado behaves like a BGE, your grate temp will be +/- 20-25 degrees lower than dome temp.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:09 am

Rodcrafter & egghead,

Thank you for that info and suggestions.
I'm not sure if the new thermometer is calibrateable? It's a Tel Tru and I believe its the lt 225 r with the 3.5 " stem ( the stock garbage thermometer ) Is 2.5 " long so I'm pretty sure it won't be too long as I was concerned about it hitting the food as well.
I was going to order the 5 " stem but thought that would just be a good ( spear ) every time I closed the dome lol.

This new thermometer has a nut on the back tight up against the bezel.
Is this possibly what I hear as the ( recall but )
Is this the adjustment I assume ?

I'm going to boil some water today and compare the tel tru to the new 733 maverick.
I'm thinking I can trust the 733 from what I'm told.

Wish me luck that I don't have to find out what that nut is for lol.
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:29 am

Ok so I did the boiling test and the tel tru was off by just under 20 degrees which surprised me.
So apparently that nut was the adjuster and it's now spot on :)
Now it's time to figure out how to make this work with the stock bezel. They are both listed as 2 " gauges, but the tel tru is slightly larger grrr.

I'd rather not drill another hole but if that's the last resort, I'll have to.
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:40 pm

If you want to back that spear up a little, cut a cork to the length you desire and slide the stem through before it goes in the dome.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Dome temp gauge stem length

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:14 pm

egghead wrote:If you want to back that spear up a little, cut a cork to the length you desire and slide the stem through before it goes in the dome.

Now THAT ^^^^^^^^^^^ is just the idea I was looking for !!
That info is much appreciated egghead :)

Do you think the ( spring clip ) will be strong enough to create a tight seal tho ?

The stock gauge has a wing nut to hold it snug. I'm still not sure if I should just use the stock hole and do away with the original gauge. Or keep that since char griller warranted it ( no questions asked ) which was a nice surprise and just drill a small hole thru all 3 layers ( supposedly they claim it is triple wall insulated ) of the dome for the reliable Tel Tru ?
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:28 am

I haven't used the spring clip on the thermos my BGEs for a while.

Have also seen folks using one or two wooden wheels like you would use when making a child's toy or simply drilling a hole just large enough for the stem in a small piece of wood.

I wouldn't drill any holes in your dome.
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Dome temp gauge stem length

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:19 am

egghead wrote:I haven't used the spring clip on the thermos my BGEs for a while.

Have also seen folks using one or two wooden wheels like you would use when making a child's toy or simply drilling a hole just large enough for the stem in a small piece of wood.

I wouldn't drill any holes in your dome.

Trust me, last option is pulling out the Dewalt...
I'm hoping the spring clip and a small round piece of Nomex tightly around the stem will keep a good seal.

My main concern is that the stock stem was held by a 1/4" thread around the stem so I have a 5/16" hole thru all layers.
The Tel Tru is a 1/8" stem.
I'm hoping two round pieces of Nomex on both sides of the dome and a flat washer inside with the spring clip will hold the assembly tight ??

Return to “Pit Accessories, Stokers, Thermometers and Knives”