ECT not ECB

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

ECT not ECB

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:11 am

El Cheapo Thermometer
When I saw the price of this unit and since my Pit Boss 340 didn't have a Lid Thermometer, I figured WTH. I ordered one and installed it and after my first cook on the pellet I found that it was consistently within 5 to 10 degrees of the Gauge at the control box. I'm not saying anything other than "The price and free shipping might be worth a shot, if your needs justify a cheap one"
:dont:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003R7 ... ailpages00
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: ECT not ECB

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:49 am

The nut on the backside indicates that it can be calibrated.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:38 am

Remember that the temp sensor for the control box is on the left hand side of the cook chamber grate and the analog thermo is on the lid. They will not be the same so long as heat rises, now if the lid was cooler than the controller temp I'd wonder.
BTW my Pit Boss came with a lid thermo.
tarde venientibus ossa....
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:26 pm

mine is the econo smaller 340 and doesn't come with a thermometer BUT itz gotz one now :laughing7: :D :lol:

Papa T, what would happen if my Pit Boss accidentally ran out of pellets during the cook????????? :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:43 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:mine is the econo smaller 340 and doesn't come with a thermometer BUT itz gotz one now :laughing7: :D :lol:

Papa T, what would happen if my Pit Boss accidentally ran out of pellets during the cook????????? :dont:

Well the fire would go out and the pit would start cooling off.
Some controllers will sense low temp and try to restart the fire others will just keep blowing air and trying to feed pellets.
I haven't let that happen yet on the PB but it might try the restart since it is a Danson design. My Danson design fireplace tries to restart if unsuccessful it goes into shutdown.
I've had it happen numerous times on the Traeger and it is just oblivious to fuel shortages or the fire being out. Don't ever remember ruining a cook though, always caught it before the meat cooled too far.
tarde venientibus ossa....
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:44 am

thanks, PT, hopefully my Redneck hopper extension won't let that happen on my over night Brisket cook in a couple of days :tup:

Return to “Pit Accessories, Stokers, Thermometers and Knives”