Wet bulb thermometer/ humidity gauge

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Bobbyrules22
Pilgrim

Wet bulb thermometer/ humidity gauge

Postby Bobbyrules22 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:20 pm

Hey everyone,
Trying to find a wet bulb thermometer to use while cooking but I can't seem to find one with the temperature range I need (up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit) anyone have any reccomendations? Also I'm trying to find a way to measure humidity in my offset smoker any reccomendations on what tools to use for that would be greatly appreciated!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Wet bulb thermometer/ humidity gauge

Postby Txdragon » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:21 pm

I say good luck on that one. Most of the socks on wet bulb thermos will not fare well over 150 degrees. May go with something a bit more old school like below..

Measuring Wet Bulb Temperature Without a Wet Bulb Thermometer: Slide Rule
Method

---

If you are smoking or drying meat, there are several parameters which will help you monitor
your process: dry bulb temperature, wet bulb temperature, and relative humidity.

Dry bulb temperature, usually referred to as air temperature, is the air property that is most
commonly measured. When people refer to the temperature (heat content) of the air, they are
normally referring to the dry bulb temperature. It is called "dry bulb" because the air temperature
is indicated by a thermometer not affected by the moisture of the air. The temperature is usually
given in degrees Celsius (°C) or degrees Fahrenheit (°F).

Wet bulb temperature is the temperature indicated by a moistened thermometer bulb exposed
to the air flow. Wet bulb thermometer can be measured using a thermometer with the bulb
wrapped in wet muslin. (See Field-Expedient Wet Bulb Thermometer for information on
constructing a wet bulb thermometer.) A wet bulb thermometer measures the extent of cooling
as moisture dries from a surface (evaporative cooling). The wet bulb temperature is always
lower than the dry bulb temperature except when there is 100% relative humidity, making the
wet bulb temperature a more accurate measurement of product temperature.

Relative humidity is the amount of water vapor present in the air, expressed in relation to full
saturation or 100%.

To determine wet bulb temperature without a wet bulb thermometer using the slide rule
method, you must know the dry bulb temperature (regular thermometer or probe) and %
relative humidity obtained from a hygrometer. Various types of hygrometers, some with data
storage and download capabilities, are available
commercially.

There are 3 easy steps to the slide rule method:

1. Indicate the % relative humidity on the slide rule (upper scale) by moving the inserted
card.
2. Find the measured dry bulb temperature on the lower scale.
3. The corresponding wet bulb temperature can be read on the interior scale.

wetbulb.jpg

For example, in the image above, a dry bulb temperature of 160°F at 70% relative humidity
yields a wet bulb temperature of 147°F.
(Insert witty signature here)
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:42 am

as the temperature changes so does the humidity, so a humidity measurement in a cooking chamber would be difficult to monitor.
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:52 pm

spacetrucker wrote:as the temperature changes so does the humidity, so a humidity measurement in a cooking chamber would be difficult to monitor.

Humidity is easy enough to monitor, just not at the temps we see on our BBQ pits. Humidity is monitored in bread and dough proofers just fine, but those are also monitoring at temps WAY below standard smoker range of 225+ The problem faced is the probe to monitor said humidity levels doesn't fare well above the 180 range.
(Insert witty signature here)
fulljionslly
Pilgrim

Postby fulljionslly » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:42 am

I bought a multifunctional [url="https://www.fulljion.com/large-display-digital-temperature-humidity-thermometer-home-comfort-monitor.html"]digital humidity meter[/url] few months ago,which with date, week, time, humidity, temperature, alarm clock, and back light. It also a perfect for travel, home and outdoor use, which is convenient to carry.I think it's worth buying one. :lol:

Return to “Pit Accessories, Stokers, Thermometers and Knives”