Review of InkBird Smart Wireless BBQ Thermometer IBT-4XS

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Review of InkBird Smart Wireless BBQ Thermometer IBT-4XS

Postby tex_toby » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:53 pm

I first received the InkBird IBT-4XS in the mail about 1 week ago. My first impression of this product began with the very nice packaging & box. This item was packaged in such a way one would expect an Apple product to be packaged in. I can certainly appreciate this upgrade as I will continue to use the box to store my InkBird thermometer when it is not in use.

Once inside, you will find everything you need to get started. This thermometer is able to monitor 4 different temperatures at one time. While you can find other brand thermometers with this ability, they do not necessarily come with enough probes to do so and you would have to purchase additional probes separately. To my surprise, the InkbBird IBT-4XS included all 4 probes needed to monitor temps right out of the box. When it comes to powering the unit, it comes with a built-in non-detachable lithium battery and a USB charger. It took a few hours to fully charge the unit, which seemed a bit long but not too bad. I really like the ability to re-charge the unit. My only reservation with the non-removable battery will be the lifespan. I’m afraid that once the battery will no longer hold a charge, the unit will have to go into the trash. The display of the unit has large characters which are easy to read from a distance.

First you must download the compatible app used to control the unit. The app is very intuitive and user friendly and allows you to choose either a timer or temperature setting to trigger the alarm when in use. I do wish that you could choose the alarm tone, but you are limited to just one. The app also contains pre-set temperatures you can choose from for different types of meat or other food items based on the recommended finish temps. Learning to cook to proper temperature will improve your cooking skills whether you are using this device/tool on your grill, smoker or even the oven in your kitchen.

Once my unit was fully charged, I was ready to put it to the true test. My first cook using the InkBird IBT-4XS was on a pork tenderloin. The unit performed exactly as intended and accurate. Even after using this device for about 40 minutes, the battery still reads 100% charge. One word of advise when cooking meats to a particular temperature, you should always pull the meat out of the grill/smoker/oven a few degrees BEFORE it reaches its final temp. The reason being is that the meat will continue to rise once removed based on how large of a piece of meat it is. In my example with pork tenderloin, this is a smaller piece of meat so I pulled out about 3 degrees before final temp. If you are cooking a larger piece of meat such as a rib roast, you should pull out about 10 degrees before it has reached its finished cooking temp. Rest the meat on the counter with the thermometer still connected so you can continue to monitor until it has reached the desired temp.

Overall, my first experience with the InkBird IBT-4XS has met my expectations. I look forward to many more cooks with this tool at my side!

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Bluetoot ... 717&sr=8-1
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Review of InkBird Smart Wireless BBQ Thermometer IBT-4XS

Postby Rambo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:32 pm

Thanks Toby, good too see ya
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:08 pm

Thanks for the Great Personal Review, T-Toby, looking forward to your updates and wishing you longevity with the Unit :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:41 pm

Always good to get reviews on new products, thanks Toby.
tarde venientibus ossa....
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:05 pm

Yes Sir, Thanks for the review. I recently started seeing more of these units being used. Looks like a good unit for the money.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:18 pm

Nice review Toby. I’ve heard good things about the inkbirds. Glad to hear you validate it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Pit Accessories, Stokers, Thermometers and Knives”