Crispy Beer Flat Bread

Salads, slaws, veggies, chili, soup, anything you serve with a meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

debbieinga
Pilgrim

Crispy Beer Flat Bread

Postby debbieinga » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:53 am

This smelled delicious while baking. Makes a great pita sandwich. Bake less for a softer bread.. I used a dark beer. I love cooking with dark beer!

From Zaar-

Crispy Beer Flat Bread

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup beer

For Brushing:

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 garlic clove, crunched

For Topping
1 tablespoon dried herbs (thyme, rosemary, oregano, and or or majoram or whatever you want)

Preheat oven (480-490 F, 250-260 C). Put the baking tray into the oven. So it will be heated.

Mix olive oil and garlic and set aside.

Sift flour with salt and add beer. Mix with hands until dough is formed.

Knead dough for 5 minutes with sligthly floured hands. Let rest dough for about 10 minutes.

On a sligthly floured working board, roll out the dough with a rolling pin. It should be thin (if you like the bread very crispy roll out the dough very thin).

Place the dough on baking paper (size of the baking tray).
Brush the dough with the olive oil. Sprinkle it with herbs (you could use more or less than 1 tablespoon).

Put dough (on baking paper) on the baking tray in the oven and bake for about 5 - 10 minutes until it is golden brown. During baking the bread will develop several "bubbles".

Take out of the oven and let cool on a cooling rack. Serve slightly warm or cool.

NOTE on herbs: use your favorite herbs. you could also leave them out.

NOTE on olive oil: you can use just EVOO and no garlic if desired. I desire it though :wink:

Enjoy!

[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/DebbieGA/flatbread.jpg[/img][/img]
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:57 am

Sounds good. :D
Jim
paulr USER_AVATAR
Paulr
Rustler

Postby Paulr » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:58 am

WOW! So I can make bread using my favourite ingredient beer 8) And no need to add yeast since it's in the beer!
Looks way cool, I'll give it a try! :D
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
Visit the new Australian BBQ Blog: http://www.aussiebbq.info/wp
debbieinga
Pilgrim

Postby debbieinga » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:20 am

yessss you've never made beer bread before?? It's easy! even my little nephew loves it and can make beer bread. Even though he's only 4 and not old enough to drink it. :lol: I will have to dig out that recipe. Since I've been laying off the carbs, I haven't baked lately. I will find it and post it.

Funny I hate the taste of beer and I don't drink it. But I cook with it and love it.
paulr USER_AVATAR
Paulr
Rustler

Postby Paulr » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:23 am

debbieinga wrote:yessss you've never made beer bread before?? It's easy! even my little nephew loves it and can make beer bread. Even though he's only 4 and not old enough to drink it. :lol: I will have to dig out that recipe. Since I've been laying off the carbs, I haven't baked lately. I will find it and post it.

Funny I hate the taste of beer and I don't drink it. But I cook with it and love it.

Nope, I have a bread maker but want to start baking bread on my BBQ.
I luv the taste of beer and drink it but cook with it in limited quantities. The beer bread should be good!!!
Thanks in advance
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.

Visit the new Australian BBQ Blog: http://www.aussiebbq.info/wp
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:37 am

Looks great Debbie but I'd rather drink the beer than cook with it :wink: :D
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:43 am

Is the beer the source of the yeast? If so, guess you have to use a micro as even Lonestars are pasteurized these days. If no yeast is needed, guess it don't matter then. Does look good, might give it a try after Dog Days are over and house cools down a bit.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:49 am

Oh yes beer bread, my DIL makes it for me when I visit good stuff and easy to make.
Haven't had the pita variety Thanks Deb.
tarde venientibus ossa....
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:25 pm

This sounds incredible! I love an easy and herbed bread. This would make a great and easy pizza! Hmmm, gonna have to do some experimenting!
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!

Return to “Sides and Such”