Do you get smoker's hangover?

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Do you get smoker's hangover?

Postby Gator » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:42 am

Seems that I get myself "over smoked" when tending the pit all day. By the time the 'que is ready to eat, I don’t always feel like eating BBQ. I guess I have already had enough smoke for one day...I much more enjoy the meat the next day, after I’m all cleaned up and not reeking of smoke...I dunno, it just tastes better then.

Anyone else get the Smokers Hangover?
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:17 am

I don't always feel like eating. :roll: But part of that is me eatin' all those little cook's treats and taste sampling. 8) I'm usually just to tired to feel like eatin' after a long cook. :( Let everyone else eat, I just want to relax. :D :D Besides BBQ and beans always taste better the next day. :D :D
Jim
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:39 am

That is absolutely the way I feel!!! By the time it's ready to eat, I can't even taste it because smoke has been in my nose all day, which is really the way we taste anyways!!
I rarely eat anything I've smoked until the next day. I will usually just eat the sides, like pasta or salad that same nite. On other forums, I've heard guys complain that the meat doesn't taste smokey enough, and I always tell them to wait til the next day, as their nose can't really taste it after being in it all day.
laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:23 pm

Everytime I get that feeling. Im so excited when its time to get down to business, but by the end I can't bring myself to chow down. I enjoy the food the day after, unfortunatly I wanna eat it fresh off the smoker, but I can't do it....... :cry:

Everyone else enjoys it though if thats any consilation....... :roll:
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:37 pm

BBQ Whimps!

If you don't hover over your smoker you won't get smoke hangover. Maybe its because I use a WSM I just about set it and forget it.
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:01 pm

Burnt Food Dude wrote:BBQ Whimps!

If you don't hover over your smoker you won't get smoke hangover. Maybe its because I use a WSM I just about set it and forget it.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
It ain't no fun if ya don't get smoke in yer eyes and nose once in awhile!! :lol: :lol:
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:09 pm

Yeah what's the problem? Just dial up your Traeger and go relax. now the neighbors will easily detect the smoke and become closer friends to remind you that you got Q goin' but hang over?
tarde venientibus ossa....
burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:45 pm

Papa Tom wrote:Yeah what's the problem? Just dial up your Traeger and go relax. now the neighbors will easily detect the smoke and become closer friends to remind you that you got Q goin' but hang over?

Oh..! BBQ Hangover! The neighbors hangin' over at your place while your BBQing. Suckin' up your beer.
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:56 pm

Burnt Food Dude wrote:
Papa Tom wrote:Yeah what's the problem? Just dial up your Traeger and go relax. now the neighbors will easily detect the smoke and become closer friends to remind you that you got Q goin' but hang over?

Oh..! BBQ Hangover! The neighbors hangin' over at your place while your BBQing. Suckin' up your beer.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

my neighbors know to bring their own brew!! I share my food with open hands and heart, but not my brews!!! :lol: 8)
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:51 pm

Dittos, I rarely eat my oun Q anymore and I'm startin to like PP over Brisket, :( however, I do LOVE Q when I get back home, mainly due to my favorite wood, Post Oak. Makes me salivate jus thinkin bout it, plus someone else is doin the smokin!
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:04 pm

DJ, I got a big 'ole fat post oak down here with your name on it. come get it. :D
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:14 pm

Yeppers..I always get a hangover after cooking much of anything. The warden say it the Ezra..but I think it the smoke personally. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it:) After about 38 years of wedded bliss have learnt that wimmen will believe anythang..as long as you dont go changing the story. Takes a good memory to remember the story line sometimes.

bigwheel
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Re: Do you get smoker's hangover?

Postby TX Sandman » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:55 pm

Gator wrote:By the time the 'que is ready to eat, I don’t always feel like eating BBQ.

I'm this way with all my cookin'. By the time I've cooked, set the table, and got the family served, I've lost my appetite. I joke it's cause I don't trust my own cookin', cause I know what I done to it. In truth, it just doesn't seem to taste as good to me as when someone else did the cookin'.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:27 am

count me in. After cookin all night and day I don't wanna have anything to do with the Q :shock: :D
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:48 am

Y'all a bunch on something, just haven't put a label on it. :? :shock: :lol: :lol:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “General Discussion”