Brisket and Pork Butt

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jkokes
Wrangler

Brisket and Pork Butt

Postby jkokes » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:48 am

Started these a few hours ago, yall said you like pictures and I like pictures too. It has been a while since I have done a brisket and never smoked a pork butt. Hope all goes well today. I made some modifications to the pit this week, so I am still tring to dial her in.
BBQ'n and Home Brewin'
Got Pivo?
cypertj USER_AVATAR
CypertJ
Bandolero

Re: Brisket and Pork Butt

Postby CypertJ » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:44 am

Both of them are looking mighty fine.

What's in the bowl, apple juice?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jkokes
Wrangler

Postby jkokes » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:51 am

Just water, I don't use anything fancy.
BBQ'n and Home Brewin'
Got Pivo?
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:09 pm

jkokes, the brisket and Butt are looking mighty Happy resting on your grate. :D I will be watching for some more pics and updates. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:18 pm

I agree they are looking mighty happy. That butt is coming along fine. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
big dan
Pilgrim

Postby big dan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:03 pm

How has that smoke stack extension been working out for you?
davidtxs USER_AVATAR
Davidtxs
Bandolero

Postby Davidtxs » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:52 pm

What all did ya modify ? I have a smoker close to yours, I did a few I ran the exhaust down to grill level and put kinda a damper at the firebox entrance to point the air UP then it goes down and across the food then back under the grate to the exhaust. Seems to work well now if I can only stop the leaks,
When I grow up I wanna be EITHER

Jethro Gibbs thats TW0 B's Second is for
OR
Redneck Cooker "watch out Trigg"
So If any teams want a reasonable website let me know
jkokes
Wrangler

Postby jkokes » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:09 pm

Pulled Pork done, Brisket still going. Brisket was two pounds bigger.
BBQ'n and Home Brewin'
Got Pivo?
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:50 pm

Nicely done :pig:
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:48 am

Good looking grub!
jkokes
Wrangler

Postby jkokes » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:25 am

big dan: I wasnt happy with the extension. The fire was running good, I feel like I used more word than normal, but I couldnt get the temp to hold 225 in he cook area. I think since it was creating such a draft it was sucking cold air in from around the lid, because it does not seal with a darn. In the last couple hours of cooking I hammed the extension down in to the cook area to about 4" above the grate. (Pitcure to follow this week). I think this helped, the guage came up. But I didnt cook with it long enough to see if it really makes a big difference.

Davidtxs: I have added the stack extension, see explain above to see my thoughts, sounds like I am going more your direction and lowering the intake. I took one the cast iron cooking rakes that came with the firebox and replaced the crappy fire rack. I added little bricks under it to raise it to the center of the air intake. I also added a piece of foil as a deflector, it is just pinched between the first two grates and angles down. It helps it allows me to cook on 2/3 to 3/4 of the cooking area and not burn the food. I am interested in seeing pictures of your dampener always looking to improve. Iam going to start looking around for some kinda heat same gasket to help seal it. (i will post pics to show my mods.)

I will slice and taste the brisket tonight, was to full after the awesome pulled pork, to even thing about the brisket.
BBQ'n and Home Brewin'
Got Pivo?
jkokes
Wrangler

Postby jkokes » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:43 am

Brisket taking a break in the cooler. I didnt get any pics of me slicing it, but the taste and texture were exactly what I wanted. It just got a little blacker on the outside than I wanted. More practice needed.
BBQ'n and Home Brewin'
Got Pivo?
jkokes
Wrangler

Postby jkokes » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:51 am

jkokes wrote:big dan: I wasnt happy with the extension. The fire was running good, I feel like I used more word than normal, but I couldnt get the temp to hold 225 in he cook area. I think since it was creating such a draft it was sucking cold air in from around the lid, because it does not seal with a darn. In the last couple hours of cooking I hammed the extension down in to the cook area to about 4" above the grate. (Pitcure to follow this week). I think this helped, the guage came up. But I didnt cook with it long enough to see if it really makes a big difference.

Davidtxs: I have added the stack extension, see explain above to see my thoughts, sounds like I am going more your direction and lowering the intake. I took one the cast iron cooking rakes that came with the firebox and replaced the crappy fire rack. I added little bricks under it to raise it to the center of the air intake. I also added a piece of foil as a deflector, it is just pinched between the first two grates and angles down. It helps it allows me to cook on 2/3 to 3/4 of the cooking area and not burn the food. I am interested in seeing pictures of your dampener always looking to improve. Iam going to start looking around for some kinda heat same gasket to help seal it. (i will post pics to show my mods.)

I will slice and taste the brisket tonight, was to full after the awesome pulled pork, to even thing about the brisket.

Here are some pics.
BBQ'n and Home Brewin'
Got Pivo?

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”