Competition Brisket Roundtable...

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Mettle
Wrangler

Re: Competition Brisket Roundtable...

Postby Mettle » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:18 pm

I absolutely adored IBCA until Trader's Village last year. (Disclamer: May be in part due to only hitting two final tables when I average three calls a comp.) Yes, I was the guy that would not walk up to get the added money for like 17th place.

The first day I tasted the turn ins that won and dang that stuff was funky. A top 5 rib tasted chiefly of grape jelly. A top 5 chicken tasted like pickles. Really? Lots of dirty smoke and KBB taste.

On to brisket. I use NO extra sugar on my brisket and have placed no lower than 5th place when I have cooked in the Kansas City metro area (3 times). Do not buy in to the BS that you have to be sweet to win in KCBS. None of my stuff is sweet.

The second day at Traders Village I decided to give my brisket some dirty smoke (even told the guy next to me). Dumb, I know. Then I tasted the top briskets and they were very good Texas briskets. One of the top 3 briskets was the exact rub combo I use on a prime brisket. :banghead: Why cook a brisket so well when they fark up the chicken and ribs?
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:43 pm

Because $$$ is at stake... If anyone thinks I'm gunna intentionally screw up a cook for the sake of one cookoff that's an abberation you have another thing coming. I have far too many proven results to change for a few "taste impaired" judges. You can't win them all but I'll take calls in 90% rather than change for trying to win the other 10%...
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:00 pm

jtilk wrote:Because $$$ is at stake... If anyone thinks I'm gunna intentionally screw up a cook for the sake of one cookoff that'san abberation you have another thing coming. I have far too many proven results to change for a few "taste impaired" judges. You can't win them all but I'll take calls in 90% rather than change for trying to win the other 10%...

Well said. I've heard from numerous people saying never taste the winning bbq then start drifting away from what they do. It just isn't a smart move.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:55 pm

It will mess with your MOJO for sure.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:05 pm

I never try em either!! Oh, I am the guy that walked up and got the 17th place brisket added $$$$!!! FREE MONEY, HELLO!!!!! :D
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:59 pm

Big Ed wrote:I never try em either!! Oh, I am the guy that walked up and got the 17th place brisket added $$$$!!! FREE MONEY, HELLO!!!!! :D

:laughing7:
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:10 am

Well I wouldn't be complaining at all with a final tables entry at Traders Village. That cookoff has an extra level of judging as opposed to other cookoffs. You got to get thru two sets of different judges instead of one to get to finals tables at Traders Village. With about 80 teams, hittin final tables at Traders is some darn good Q and is nuthin to be disappointed in.

If you had tasted that 6th place yardbird on Sunday it would have been a juicy savory bird! :) :) The Saturday chicken was a "backyard" cookin deal and not everybody cooks their "competition" yardbirds on a backyard cooker.

Bet that "grape" taste was from sour grapes too! :)
Mettle
Wrangler

Postby Mettle » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:49 am

You guys understand my point exactly. Now apply the "don't change your stuff" attitude to KCBS brisket and win some money.
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:05 pm

I dont do KCBS usually so it's not an issue... However in 2 weeks I will be doing one. With that said, brisket has gotten me paid the last 2 cookoffs and I have no intentions of changing. If it doesnt work out for me, so be it... but I wont say deviated from what I feel like I was doing well.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
cokeguy101 USER_AVATAR
cokeguy101
Bandolero

Postby cokeguy101 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:12 pm

I have not had a brisket call in so long I probably should save my self the money and turn in the other two meats. I figure one day I will get it down and get a call again.

I have darn near tried everything in the world, probably over thinking it.
High On Smoke BBQ
Family+Friends+Cooking = Good Times

R&O Fat Girl
Smokemaster off set with vertical
Large Big Green Egg
2 Hasty Bakes
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:38 pm

cokeguy101 wrote:I have not had a brisket call in so long I probably should save my self the money and turn in the other two meats. I figure one day I will get it down and get a call again.

Keep hope alive :D ... I went prolly 2 yrs with one or 2 calls. Some how managed to come up with what works for me and had quite a bit of success as of late. So I can atest that it's possible and it can happen, I just wish I could have done it with a trial brisket or 2 instead of the countless I cooked in between.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:30 am

jtilk wrote:
cokeguy101 wrote:I have not had a brisket call in so long I probably should save my self the money and turn in the other two meats. I figure one day I will get it down and get a call again.

Keep hope alive :D ... I went prolly 2 yrs with one or 2 calls. Some how managed to come up with what works for me and had quite a bit of success as of late. So I can atest that it's possible and it can happen, I just wish I could have done it with a trial brisket or 2 instead of the countless I cooked in between.

Josh, I bet all your mistakes were very tasty my Friend. :D I am glad you have your brisket down now it can be tough to get it where it works. I look forward to visiting with you this year in Freeport if you cook it this year. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:49 pm

KAM-
Glad to see you back around a bit ... I took some of the advice you gave me and tinkered with things and I've been blessed enough to have had some success, although I'm not nieve enough to feel that I have "arrived" by any means. I'm looking forward to the Fishin' Fiesta this year, I'll definitely make it a point to pay you guys a visit and catch up on things. Many thanks to you again my friend.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

poe girlʹs bbq USER_AVATAR
Poe Girl's BBQ
Pilgrim

Postby Poe Girl's BBQ » Thu May 29, 2014 11:26 am

First Post ... EVER

I've enjoyed reading the previous posts. This forum has been a very good read. I have been cooking for a while, and plan to start competing this summer. I'm a low and slow guy, keep my temp around 225 for 4-5 hours pre-wrap, then 210 for 5 hours post wrap. I'm fat side down in an offset smoker pre-wrap, and fat side up post wrap. I smoke with a combination of oak, pecan and hickory. Primarily pecan, just a little hickory. We make our own spices, and we make our own sauce for those that don't know how to really eat BBQ.

I appreciate the information about rest time ... I don't think I have been letting mine rest long enough, and I think I will try some of y'alls shorter cook times and see how it goes. I've been told by many folks that mine is the best around ... time to meet up with all of y'all and find out if they are right.

Poe Girl's BBQ
www.poegirlsbbq.com
www.facebook.com/texasbbqsauce
garzanium
Rustler

Postby garzanium » Thu May 29, 2014 2:03 pm

Welcome!
Recently at a comp I wrapped the brisket then put it back in the smoker. When I went to unwrap it I noticed I accidently put it fat side up..which I never do. all the juices collected at the bottom and ruined my nice bark!!! Never again lol..now I make sure to always check it is fatside down before putting back into the smoker once wrapped.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”