STEAK COOKIN

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

STEAK COOKIN

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:31 pm

I was asked by my store manager to cook steaks for our guests at our next open house. He told me there will be between 50-75 people plus employees that I will be cooking for. I am as nervous and proud as I could be. I have never cooked for anywhere near that many people before. I am open to all tips out there.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: STEAK COOKIN

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:53 pm

blessed your heart, Justin, my oldest son can pull those kinds of cooks off but I always run the other way - - - - - Congrats and Good Luck :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:58 pm

Wow, quite the honor. What are you going to be cooking on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:01 pm

cooking them on a store bought grill. one of those from wallyworld that has an adjustable fire tray. should be able to do about 15-20 at a time.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:21 pm

I've never cooked for that many folks but the one thing I'd say is to give yourself plenty of time to get your fire started and where you want it. One of the first times I grilled for a crowd was a party at the house many years ago. I waited till everybody (mainly the wife and female relatives) started screaming they were hungry to start the fire. Of course it gave me fits that day and the longer we went the louder they got and the more frustrated I got. I believe that was the first time I truly saw a grill get white hot…

gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:27 pm

Is it a sit down type, AKA all at once or will the "steak eaters" be spread out over time?
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:47 pm

I don't know, its a product show for our john deere dealership and the guests will be looking at new equipment, so I think it will be spread out. im thinking it will be a "steaks are done guys" kind of thing.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:26 pm

make up some green and yeller sauce to pour over the unhappy steaks :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:23 pm

3 words...

Caramelized onions/mushrooms
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:29 pm

I will only have the grill to play with here at work. no oven or stove in the brake room. otherwise the onion and shroom idea would be great. it will just be steak and taters I think.
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: STEAK COOKIN

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:42 pm

JustinCouch wrote:I will only have the grill to play with here at work. no oven or stove in the brake room. otherwise the onion and shroom idea would be great. it will just be steak and taters I think.

Not to give you more to do because you have a huge task at hand, you could always caramelize these up ahead of time and keep em in the fridge till the steaks are almost done and throw em on top the last few minutes.
The smell would attract them like crazy with that addition of brown sugar and butter on the grill with a hunk of beef lol.
Or a small cast iron pan on the grill works excellent too for that.

Either way, sounds like a great time man :) :)
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:57 pm

hmmmmm scrathing my chin. tell me more about these onions and shrooms
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:15 pm

JustinCouch wrote:hmmmmm scrathing my chin. tell me more about these onions and shrooms

Do a trial run.
I use a mix of olive oil/butter in cast iron over med/high heat. Cook shrooms/onions 5 to 10 min or so and add a little brown sugar and vinegar and let them caramelize up.
I keep a cover on to let the steam help cook em. Just keep in mind mushrooms are FULL of water so use caution with adding any more oil if needed.
I use just a tablespoon or so.

They go GREAT over steaks
Last edited by woodenvisions on Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:37 pm

woodenvisions wrote:
JustinCouch wrote:hmmmmm scrathing my chin. tell me more about these onions and shrooms

Do a trial run.
I use a mix of olive oil/butter in cast iron over med/high heat. Cook shrooms/onions 5 to 10 min or so and add a little brown sugar and let them caramelize up.
I keep a cover on to let the steam help cook em. Just keep in mind mushrooms are FULL of water so use caution with adding any more oil if needed.
I use just a tablespoon or so.

They go GREAT over steaks

Shrooms....my granddaughter loves them, she says mine are so much better than her mums. I cook mine in butter and cream til nearly done, turn off and leave to cool. Then when ready heat again. The waiting time settles the shrooms and makes them more tender . My granddaughter said, so that's the trick gang gang,lol.
Just a tip I've found helpful.
Also have you considered a slaw, goes a long way.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:33 pm

I agree with these trial run suggestions…you should buy a bunch of steaks and invite us all over. You should be able to expense it as "practice" :)

You'll do fine!!!!

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”