A Word on my Bird

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: A Word on my Bird

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:46 am

Also, I don't brine chickens overnight. Maybe 4-5 hours. Turkeys go overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:50 am

I would inject the bird the night before but not brine. Not knowing the % of solution already in the bird is why I say this. The injection they use is chicken flavor if you want your Tony's flavor your'e gonna need to use it.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:26 am

Thanks, KAM, and very good point :tup: All I am looking for with this particular cook is moisture - - - most of the participants wouldn't know the different in flavors anyhow. :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:39 pm

Well, Pardnahs, the Bird was a total FAIL IMHO - - - - breast meat was tolerable but everything else was tough and chewy - - - - this could only be because the Fat Hen was a POS - - - - I will be throwing most everything away except a few leftover breast slices and I WILL NOT EVER BUY anther Hard Frozen, Injected, Fat Hen AGAIN :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:06 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Well, Pardnahs, the Bird was a total FAIL IMHO - - - - breast meat was tolerable but everything else was tough and chewy - - - - this could only be because the Fat Hen was a POS - - - - I will be throwing most everything away except a few leftover breast slices and I WILL NOT EVER BUY anther Hard Frozen, Injected, Fat Hen AGAIN :whiteflag:

Yep...been there done that OUP. :roll:
A while back I couldn't find any fresh whole cluckers in my town. Settled for a couple Tysons solution injected birds which where frozen. YUCK!!!!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:31 pm

Don't give up!!!
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:41 pm

Yup, Wild Bill, me thinks it twas that Chick that messed everything up :laughing7: T-Drag, I'll not give up I'll just go back and dance with the Chick that brung me AKA Beer Can Fresh HEB Bird. - - - the thing that bit me in the hinny was that I was looking for a LARGE Sheeken and didn't want to go to a young Turkey - - - next time I'll do two Fresh cluckers instead of one Hormone Babe :chef:
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:45 pm

Next one will be OUT OF THE PARK like Big Poppy hittin a grand slam over da green monster !!!

Don't sweat the small stuff buddy :)
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:03 pm

Was it a Pilgrim Pride? We have had good luck with them doing the can method.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:55 am

Honestly, KAM, I don't have a clue - - - it was the "only" Fat Hens that HEB had and my shopping method that day was just get the biggest one - - I was suspicious from the minute that I removed the wrapping - - it just didn't look, feel or flex like what I am used to :dont: I'll be makiing a run to HEB very soon and I'll try and remember to check the name :scratch:

Footnote: after a two hour 300 degree cook on the can throne, the wings and the legs had to be cut off the body - - - nothing was tender and falling off of the bone anywhere on the carcass - - it required a sharp knife at every location :banghead:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:23 pm

One more comment on that FIASCO yesterday and then I'll s'hup :angryfire: Just got back from HEB and picking up my Chile Farmer Throw Down Stuff. I made a swing by the frozen food case that held the birds like I fixed and the only label I could find on those so called Fat Hens was a sticker that folded over like a small envelope. The Name on that sticker was Great Outdoors.

BUYER BEWARE:
I usually make Diablos, Sammies or Quesadillas from my beer can leftovers but THESE ALL went into the trash. :whiteflag: :banghead:

Now I just need to pick up a double beer can rack so I can do two birds at the same time when the need arises. :tup:
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:39 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Honestly, KAM, I don't have a clue - - - it was the "only" Fat Hens that HEB had and my shopping method that day was just get the biggest one - - I was suspicious from the minute that I removed the wrapping - - it just didn't look, feel or flex like what I am used to :dont: I'll be makiing a run to HEB very soon and I'll try and remember to check the name :scratch:

Footnote: after a two hour 300 degree cook on the can throne, the wings and the legs had to be cut off the body - - - nothing was tender and falling off of the bone anywhere on the carcass - - it required a sharp knife at every location :banghead:

Yikes.

Maybe it was a rooster that died a natural death. :shock:
Moink!

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”