First Pellet Brisket

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

First Pellet Brisket

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:02 am

Cooked at 325 until the color looked good. Then I panned it until it probed tender, which was around 203 IT. It didn't have any smoke ring at all, but some friends gave me a couple of tips to remedy that. Overall, I was happy with the flavor, tenderness, and moisture. I will definitely be giving it another go.

okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: First Pellet Brisket

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:53 pm

Looks like you nailed it. :chef:
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:29 pm

Was the meat @ room temp or cold when you put it on the cooker?
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:07 pm

Briskets have their bluff in on me but one of these days I'm gonna try ONE MORE on the Pit Boss 340 Pellet Grill - - - - if it comes out like Donk's :cheers: then just ?maybe? I'll try another some day :banghead:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:17 pm

Gator wrote:Was the meat @ room temp or cold when you put it on the cooker?

It was cold when I put it on. I've been told that the key to getting good smoke on a pellet cooker is to start out in low gear and take your time. I've been trying to run hot and fast, like I do on my stick burner. I'm still in the learning curve, but I'm going to master this darn thing whether it likes it or not.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:21 pm

Az. Jim turned me onto beginning with the low smoke, as you mentioned, and staying there a while along with Oakie's Amaze-N addition and my last ribs were very smokey and tender. Papa T and others have really helped me along also but it looks like you're catching on quicker than I have. :banghead:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:00 am

SD
you can add the nitrates on a pellet cooker by placing a (or two) charcoal briquette on the side of the fire pot at the top, this will help your smoke ring as will tender quick if you want to do it the down and dirty way, you can rub the brisket with tenderquick... :laughing7: then rinse the TQ off after about 15 minutes then apply your rub ;)
but honestly I haven't seen a smoke ring I could taste yet, it is pure appearance... last but not least is just cook at the low & slow temp and you will eventually grow your smoke ring from exposure to the nitrates in the smoke.
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:32 pm

Thanks y'all!
drewlooker USER_AVATAR
Drewlooker
Pilgrim

Postby Drewlooker » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:01 pm

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ wrote:Thanks y'all!

I know this is an old post, but i must ask what have you learned since your first pellet brisket? Any tips you would share? Pit temp, placement in the smoker? I have done about ten briskets in my Pro 34 and have had mix results, the number one issue im having is juiciness, its not bone dry by any means but im looking or a competition entry. Have you done a competition brisket on your pellet smoker if so have you liked the results?
Sports, Beer and Q!
Tall Pines Cookers
Treager Timberline 1300
Treager LiL Tex
Big Green Egg XL
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:04 am

Drewlooker wrote:
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ wrote:Thanks y'all!

I know this is an old post, but i must ask what have you learned since your first pellet brisket? Any tips you would share? Pit temp, placement in the smoker? I have done about ten briskets in my Pro 34 and have had mix results, the number one issue im having is juiciness, its not bone dry by any means but im looking or a competition entry. Have you done a competition brisket on your pellet smoker if so have you liked the results?

I haven't done a competition with my pellet cooker. I have done many more briskets since and have had pretty consistent results. I now utilize a water pan during the cooking process. I start out at a cooking temp of 250 and pan according to color. Then I remove the water pan and adjust the temp to 325. I pull the brisket when it probes tender, which is usually an internal temp between 195 - 205. Hope this helps.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:26 pm

Oh wow! This from a pellet shooter?! Very nice sir!
(Insert witty signature here)
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:11 am

looks tasty
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”