Kine Deer Chili

Anything, everything and all things chili. Cowboys like chili!

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Kine Deer Chili

Postby jwh » Wed May 10, 2017 8:58 am

Howdy, Folks. I've been testin' my chili chops for a few years now, and below is the general direction I go when preparing a batch.

This includes deer meat in addition to cow, but all beef works too. Things for which I don't list amounts means I eyeball it.

Ingredients:

4lbs of stew meat (I did 3lbs of deer, 1lb cow)
    2lbs of ground beef
    20-22 Poblano chiles (Anaheims work too, Anaheims & Poblanos combined are sublime)
    20 Serrano chiles (jalapeños, if you're of the mild-palated sort)
    About 10 dried New Mexico chiles
    2 cans of Ro-tel (Hot version, unless you prefer less exciting flavor)
    1 yellow onion (to be chopped)
    4 cloves of garlic (to be chopped)
    Celery stalks (to be chopped)
    Chili powder
    Cumin
    Paprika
    Salt
    Black Pepper
    1 stick of butter​

Directions: This is not necessarily in perfect order. You'll need to multi task among the various categories of culinary crafting.

-Broil the Poblano chiles until charrred on each side. Peel charrred ends, and look at the delicious roasted peppers. Just look at 'em. Then tear the prepared peppers into the portion size you'd like present in bites of chili. I prefer mine pretty gutty, since -after roasting and peeling them- they have the consistency of a nice gooey cheese, but all the flavor of a delicious chile.
    -Season stew meat with some salt, cumin, and chili powder (not too much). Brown the meat, doesn't have to be fully cooked through. Drain the fat.
    -Chop by hand and knife the celery and onion. Sautée celery and onion with butter, salt, and black pepper, until they're semi-translucent. Don't drain a bit of it.
    -De-stem serranos and remove outer skin of garlic cloves. Put 'em in a food processor and mince that stuff down.
    -Combine all the aforementioned prepared goodness into a 6 quart or bigger crock pot, and put it on low or warm. While that is warming:
    -Take the dried New Mexico chiles and remove the stems. Cover them in water in a pot, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let said chiles simmer for 15 minutes or so, till softened. Process them until they're pretty much a beautiful red chili paste. Then add it to the crock pot, along with however much chili powder, cumin, salt, etc. you prefer. Let it cook on low for 8hrs, 10hrs, whichever. This renders the meat deliciously tender.​

This picture is what it looks like before it has been slow-cooked. After it cooks, it's gone too fast before I can take a picture :D:
chili.jpg
chili.jpg (49.84 KiB) Viewed 4017 times
Josh
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Kine Deer Chili

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 10, 2017 9:21 am

Hold on until I get some Guerrero soft corn torts and then we'll get down to bizz - - - :tup: :salut: :cheers:
YepLarapin.jpg
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Sat May 13, 2017 11:30 am

Works with Tortilla chips or Cornbread too! :D

That picture does very little justice to the final product. After it cooks down in a crockpot on low for several hours, the flavor from the roasted chiles permeates the whole dish. I think I know what I'm makin' for supper tonight.
Josh
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat May 13, 2017 1:27 pm

10-4 I had a dear departed hunting bud that would NOT eat or let you eat his chili until the next day - - - try staying in the camp house smelling that and not become a midnight chili bandit :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Thu May 18, 2017 8:45 am

OldUsedParts wrote:10-4 I had a dear departed hunting bud that would NOT eat or let you eat his chili until the next day - - - try staying in the camp house smelling that and not become a midnight chili bandit :whiteflag:

I concur with your buddy. You're missin' out by diggin' in too early. :)
Josh
down_south USER_AVATAR
Down_South
Wrangler

Postby Down_South » Tue May 23, 2017 10:19 am

I'd eat that. :tup:
~Aaron

Return to “Chili Heads”