About to start a custom build

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

BBQinCoach1985
Pilgrim

About to start a custom build

Postby BBQinCoach1985 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:34 pm

Getting ready to start a custom built and after reading through some of the threads here figured this would be a great place to not only get advice but also keep myself accountable and judging by some of the mastery of the folks here build an awesome pit.
Background on me, have always loved grilling and within the last 5 years got back into smoking after spending my college years as a BBQ chef. Have a decent little Snoky Hollow Gas/Charcoal/Smoker combo it's just too small. Have smoked some ribs and a small pork butt and ham but will never get a brisket in there. I'm hoping I have enough metal working skills to make this work. Country boy who can weld and work a torch as well as a dad who has been welding for 40 years.
Not sure on specs yet because I need to go through the inventory at my pops place but will be checking back soon to give all the info. Looking forward to this!!!
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: About to start a custom build

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:48 am

Welcome to the wonderful world of cooker building BBQinCoach1985. :D
Here is a link to the Pit Calculator if you have any questions you can ask here there are some great minds here or use the email on the calculator it will come to me.
http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
BBQinCoach1985
Pilgrim

Postby BBQinCoach1985 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:46 pm

Bad news when I looked into our pioneer inventory today. Biggest I had was 14". Not sure I want to try and make that work.
BBQinCoach1985
Pilgrim

Postby BBQinCoach1985 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Also have about 5' of 24 inch. Going to look into marking that work. Really wanting to do this with least amount of cost possible until I get to the nitty gritty stuff.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:53 pm

BBQinCoach1985 wrote:Also have about 5' of 24 inch. Going to look into marking that work. Really wanting to do this with least amount of cost possible until I get to the nitty gritty stuff.

My little competition cooker is a 24" x 55" two door I love it.
http://texasbbqforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=25909

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
BBQinCoach1985
Pilgrim

Postby BBQinCoach1985 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:59 pm

Got back out today. Have about 30" of 24 in., 3/8 thickness. Thinking I can make this work. Going to have to make a square firebox so need to figure that out as wel as my half moon and chimney. Tried the calculator but that thing confused the heck out of me :laughing7: . Biggest issue now is time, 2 a days start in 2 weeks and lots to do before then. Also, just throwing this out there for thought. I'm definitely into smoking, would do it weekly if I could. I grill a lot. Any way this smoker I plan on building can still be made to grill occasionally. My dad has a huge offset we used to grill on occasionally, just need to know if it would hurt the efficiency of my smoker. Also, how big of a deal would a drain be? Lots of questions guys, sorry. Love this forum.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:13 am

BBQinCoach1985 wrote:Got back out today. Have about 30" of 24 in., 3/8 thickness. Thinking I can make this work. Going to have to make a square firebox so need to figure that out as wel as my half moon and chimney. Tried the calculator but that thing confused the heck out of me :laughing7: . Biggest issue now is time, 2 a days start in 2 weeks and lots to do before then. Also, just throwing this out there for thought. I'm definitely into smoking, would do it weekly if I could. I grill a lot. Any way this smoker I plan on building can still be made to grill occasionally. My dad has a huge offset we used to grill on occasionally, just need to know if it would hurt the efficiency of my smoker. Also, how big of a deal would a drain be? Lots of questions guys, sorry. Love this forum.

Here is the calculator filled out as I would proceed.
Link to BBQ Pit Calculator
On the intakes increase to 3 openings instead of two.
For the half moon go 11 1/4" wide x 5 5/8" tall.
I hope this helps. :D

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
guyeddie
Pilgrim

Postby guyeddie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:21 pm

I'm about to start my build as well. I was able to sell my sota wheels that I bought from 4WheelOnline so that I can finally gather the equipment I need to make my barbecue pit.
Looking forward to more camping trip with my family. I need a new tonneau cover to secure my equipment and pit.
BBQinCoach1985
Pilgrim

Postby BBQinCoach1985 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:16 pm

Checking back in, football came and went and got absolutely nothing done. Was finally able to get a little done this week. Got a good deal on some 20”x.375 oilfield pipe. Lots of grinding but good pipe nonetheless. CC will be 40”, FB is 24”. Stack will be 4”. Pipenis cut as of now, but still trying to find some affordable plate for my caps. Pictures to come.
BBQinCoach1985
Pilgrim

Postby BBQinCoach1985 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:58 pm

Well, 7 months later have finally made a small bit of progress. Was able to purchase my flat steel and angle iron for the legs. Got my caps cut and tacked on. Next step will be frame building and cutting half moon and installing exhaust pipe. Still needing a little help with the calculator for the half moon after I changed my pipe size. Love this forum and everything I have learned here.
Attachments
DE25A681-7EBE-4550-A4DF-F6339D6ED610.jpeg
pinoypitmaster USER_AVATAR
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:44 pm

Don’t lose sight ! Keep going! Love to see final product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBQinCoach1985
Pilgrim

Postby BBQinCoach1985 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:19 pm

Progress slowly being made. Got the cutout done and CC and Firebox welded together. Legs are already cut, still searching for the right wheels. Got a babygirl coming in a month so just gonna keep plugging and hopefully around Christmas I’ll have a finished project lol.
Attachments
1BD0578B-E85B-4867-BCEA-A01378DCE9C0.jpeg
BBQinCoach1985
Pilgrim

Postby BBQinCoach1985 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:36 pm

Well 3 years later finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Have a few things left. Damper for stack, fire box door popped a little when I cut vents, handle, door stop, and the temp gauge. Will be getting blasted and painted too. Still deciding on baffling plate if any of you guys have suggestions there. Ready to cook on her.
Attachments
2D6412B7-E056-4812-84EE-6D6BE027AA55.jpeg
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:19 pm

Great job
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:17 am

Very nice work you will get many years of service from that cooker. :salut: :salut: :salut:

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”