Franklins building burns!

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Franklins building burns!

Postby Chasdev » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:37 am

Local paper is reporting on line that Franklins smoke house caught fire last night and that the roof collapsed with major damage to the walk in..
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Franklins building burns!

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:45 am

Their twitter account said it was the pit room and thankfully nobody was hurt. Saw an interview w/ AF & he said he expects to be closed a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:09 am

S.H. :dont: wish them the best in getting going again :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:05 pm

Yeah, saw that when watching TX weather feeds here. :(
Moink!
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:14 pm

I hope they can get back up & running soon.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:07 pm

The pictures I saw show a two story building with what appears to be chimneys coming out of the roof of the second story..roof is partially collapsed.
Looks like he moved the smokers upstairs?
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:12 pm

bsooner75 wrote:Their twitter account said it was the pit room and thankfully nobody was hurt. Saw an interview w/ AF & he said he expects to be closed a couple weeks.

Wow. He'll finally get to rest some!
Josh
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:07 pm

jwh wrote:
bsooner75 wrote:Their twitter account said it was the pit room and thankfully nobody was hurt. Saw an interview w/ AF & he said he expects to be closed a couple weeks.

He'll probably get less sleep now than the busiest days in service.
Repairs, re-inspections.. He's got a lot of ground to cover and a TON of lost money.
(Insert witty signature here)
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:39 pm

Txdragon wrote:
jwh wrote:

He'll probably get less sleep now than the busiest days in service.
Repairs, re-inspections.. He's got a lot of ground to cover and a TON of lost money.

I was mostly being tongue-in-cheek. However, I would imagine he'll be hiring for repairs and delegating for inspections, which I would think might be less involved than the meticulous watching over briskets.

As for the lost money, it is true; however, I suspect it will not be a debt-inducing loss considering the profit and popularity he has right now. He also does not strike me as a fellow who lives above his means. Very down to earth. Very likable.

I wish them much progress in the repairs.
Josh
texmike USER_AVATAR
TexMike
Cowboy

Postby TexMike » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:39 am

Gosh, I'm off of the forum for a couple of days and look what happens! :whiteflag: :whiteflag: I hope Aaron bounces back quick.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:49 am

I saw another video of the fire last night around 10pm, and that place is toast, not fixable in any real sense.
What the fire did not consume, the fire dept took care of.
They said he had 8 pits in the area that caught fire and four were in operation at the time of the fire.
I still think he had moved his pits around from where I last saw his layout, but just driving by and glancing out the car window over the years I may not be the best eye witness..
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:25 pm

jwh wrote:I was mostly being tongue-in-cheek. However, I would imagine he'll be hiring for repairs and delegating for inspections.

Hire for repairs he can.. The inspections are by the health department though. They will have to inspect the repairs to make sure they are within code and regulation and blah blah. The building will have to be recertified. He may get lucky and it be swift, but big brother sure likes to take his sweet time. Lol! Lord knows; we waited near 45 days for our final inspection... :angryfire:
(Insert witty signature here)
Doozy-Q
Pilgrim

Postby Doozy-Q » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:50 pm

Txdragon wrote:
jwh wrote:I was mostly being tongue-in-cheek. However, I would imagine he'll be hiring for repairs and delegating for inspections.

Hire for repairs he can.. The inspections are by the health department though. They will have to inspect the repairs to make sure they are within code and regulation and blah blah. The building will have to be recertified. He may get lucky and it be swift, but big brother sure likes to take his sweet time. Lol! Lord knows; we waited near 45 days for our final inspection... :angryfire:

At the moment, the influx of West Coast peeps has created a non-BBQ friendly environment in Austin. Hope Aaron has enough friends that can guide him and his resturaunt through the political land mines in re-building.
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:28 am

His response to this whole matter (various "tweets," interview responses, and "instagram" pic captions) only solidifies my respect for him, apart from the apparently wonderful BBQ he makes. He takes a hit, and makes it light-seeming so as not to burden or stress out himself or his peeps. He deflects the perceivedly-tragic nature of the problems and instead gives well-wishes to Houstonians undergoing something far greater in damage, etc.

From all that I've seen of him (which, admittedly, is only public), he is a very cool dude, and I cannot imagine anyone not liking him. Hope everything gets on the mend in a timely manner for 'em.
Josh
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:47 am

My esteem of Franklin hasn't stopped growing yet!

From this article:

Only one employee was at the restaurant when the fire started. Franklin didn’t want to name the person, but insisted his employee was not at fault. “Anybody who cooks with fire the way we do is kidding themselves if they don’t think this is a possibility,” he said. As for the employee, he was predictably shaken up. Franklin sent him home with a bottle of whiskey and advised him to get some rest.
Josh

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”