Keep an Eye out if you're along the Texas Coast

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Keep an Eye out if you're along the Texas Coast

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:05 am

what Sooner said - - - we aren't just a BBQ Forum, we are Friends caring about each other and their Families - - - it's raining pretty steady at 6am here and the ditches are flowing but by no means full - - - tornado alerts on the TV all night long but, as far as I know there has been no local damage - - -as, Counselor mentioned, the stress has probably been the hardest part - - - - Good News on your Digs, Sir Egghead, what great News considering Y'alls location - - - - sure hope everyone continues to be safe and blessed :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:56 am

bsooner75 wrote:TX1911 - we are not tired of the updates. We care about you guys and want to know you are ok. Keep sending them as long as you want!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amen.

Stupid question from me, but, no basements? We don't have one either.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:27 am

Yes, we have been lucky so far. I would say that the culverts in front of our house are at 50%. Everything here depends on where the water goes when it empties from our ditches. At some time they will have to start releasing some at the darn but our Friends to the South certainly don't need it at the moment. Those folks that have built the multi-million dollar homes right on the water around us should be chewing their finger nails right about now.

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:51 am

Just got back from a tour around the neighborhood. We will be blocked in before too long. I've had another 1.5" in the last hour and a half in the gauge. Not the best pictures, but should give some idea of the volume of water.

20170827_081811.jpg

20170827_081859.jpg

20170827_082139.jpg

20170827_082133.jpg

20170827_082313.jpg
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:55 am

Looks like a lake. I hope it recedes soon!

tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:56 am

One more. Water over the road on the other side of the neighborhood. This isn't a through street, but one of our avenues out of the neighborhood is under water. We were expecting to get stuck here, but the avenue out is flooded by one of our retention ponds, so that's a concern.

20170827_082503.jpg
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:42 pm

Thought I'd try and ease this Cabin Fever I have before I run thru the wall so I was just getting ready to put the cats out and run to Kroger's in Willis or Brookshire Bros in Montgomery. About 10 minutes before I was planning to leave one buddy called and told me that Brookshires was closed and then another buddy called and said that Krogers was closed. You think the neighbors would report me if I went out and danced in the rain while holding the cats :?: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:00 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Thought I'd try and ease this Cabin Fever I have before I run thru the wall so I was just getting ready to put the cats out and run to Kroger's in Willis or Brookshire Bros in Montgomery. About 10 minutes before I was planning to leave one buddy called and told me that Brookshires was closed and then another buddy called and said that Krogers was closed. You think the neighbors would report me if I went out and danced in the rain while holding the cats :?: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Any chance the Wify could take video and post to TBBQF? :) hang in there buddy!

tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:51 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:
bsooner75 wrote:TX1911 - we are not tired of the updates. We care about you guys and want to know you are ok. Keep sending them as long as you want!

Amen.

Stupid question from me, but, no basements? We don't have one either.

Water table is too high and too much moisture in the ground. It would flood constantly.

Went exploring the immediate area with a neighbor a short time ago. Our neighborhood is doing extremely well compared to those around us. All avenues out, save one are impassable. Many neighbors' homes (outside of the neighborhood) are already flooded. Saw 4 flooded cars.

Wife and kids just left me and the pups and went to her folks house. Our neighborhood is on a community septic and we got notice that the vac truck won't make it out today and likely not tomorrow. We were told to "be conservative." Better I deal with it solo than the whole family.

Oh, and no school at all next week for the kiddos.

I'm sure I'll have more later. We are nearing 20 inches of rain with much more forecasted.
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:56 pm

Glad you had a place for the Wife and Youngins to go to :tup:
All of Y'all down there are in our thoughts and prayers so hang in there :salut:
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:01 pm

Thanks Emm. Y'all have more coming. Stay safe!

This is our largest concern now. The evacuation area is not far from us. If you Google "Brazos river memorial day flood" there are a ton of images of how high the river got. This is set to be higher, with ground already saturated and, of course massive rainfall.

Screenshot_20170827-155754.png
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:38 pm

I hate to see this and, altho I'm no flood control expert, I think it might have been a little sooner than needed but it's done and I hope those down river don't suffer too much from it. I also imagine that there will be more than just a few law suits after all is said and done.

http://www.yourconroenews.com/east-mont ... o-13947248
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:01 pm

Getting a mite ridiculous.
Screenshot_20170827-195942.png
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:27 pm

Oh man !!!
I feel for you guys :(:(:(
Prayers sent on a loop !!!

Stay safe !!
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:13 am

Praying for all you guys over that way. Thankfully, we didn't get what they said we were going to. Hoping the same for all you guys!
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"

Return to “General Discussion”