3-4 Hour Recipe Recomendations!

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

BUnewby
Pilgrim

3-4 Hour Recipe Recomendations!

Postby BUnewby » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:50 pm

Hey Yall,

So after my first tailgate last weekend I was looking for some cooking tips for this weekend! I'm expecting the same turnout ( 20 - 25 people). Last week I made around 13 lbs of chicken leg quarters, 15 links, and 20 burgers.

This week I was really hoping to make some ribs ( along with some burgers again just for some variety ). Only problem is, our student tailgate area only allows load-in 6 hours prior to the game. So I'm really looking at only 3 or so hours to make my main protein. Any tips and recipes for that amount of time? Also trying to think of some good sides! Potato salad always goes good, but I've gotten sick off cookout potato salad and vowed to stay away from it!

Thanks ahead of time! :cheers:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: 3-4 Hour Recipe Recomendations!

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:56 pm

Meat loaf is usually done in an hour and a half or so and taste good off the smoker.

Wings!!!! It is Football after all. Just use your favorite chicken seasoning (maybe brine in Italian dressing a couple hours before but not necessary) toss on the smoker and when they hit the done temp yank them off and toss in wing sauce. I like sweet baby rays Buffalo sauce.

Hot dogs and sausage are always a win.

Pasta salad makes a good side dish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:16 am

Lots and lots of chicken legs/thighs..fast, easy, taste great and you can concentrate on drinking beer..
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:26 am

Chasdev wrote:Lots and lots of chicken legs/thighs..fast, easy, taste great and you can concentrate on drinking beer..

They don't drink beer at Baylor…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:39 am

If you could get a food processor and slow cooker on hand, I could recommend Smoked Poblano & Serrano Chili with tortilla chips, shredded cheese, etc. 2 hrs of smoke, 2 hours of slow cooker on high after removed from smoke. But that might not be what folks are lookin' for, and maybe there's no access to electricity.
Josh
sinfony78
Rustler

Postby sinfony78 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:15 pm

why don't u pre cook ribs and just heat up for a couple hours in foil on the smoker. bbq ain't bbq without at least one part from the Texas Trinity
BUnewby
Pilgrim

Postby BUnewby » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:43 pm

Hey Yall,

Update on 2-weeks-ago's tailgate... been busy!

I ended up making a couple of racks of baby back ribs using some sort of 2-2-1 ish method. I bought the 3 pack from Sam's and was pretty happy with the outcome.

I took the ribs and rinsed them well. I then peeled the membrane off the bone side, and trimmed off the last couple of smaller ribs so that they were fairly even. I then slathered them in a thin layer of mustard and put plenty of a brown sugar rub I bought as well as a bit of cavender's greek seasoning, salt and pepper. I wrapped them in foil and let them set up overnight.

Once Saturday rolled around, I got the smoker going with some small pecan logs and a few apple chunks. I stabilized around 275 to 250 and put the ribs on naked and bone side down for about 2 hours. I then pulled the ribs and wrapped them in foil with a splash of apple juice and a good dash of brown sugar. I got the grill up around 300-325 and scooted them to the far end of the smoker away from the more direct heat. I let these go about an hour and 45 minutes, then pulled the foil off and let them back on the smoke for another 45 minutes. At this point I also slathered on some spicy barbecue sauce. I didn't get to rest them too much because everyone was eager to eat. Needless to say, people enjoyed them!
Attachments
ribs.jpg

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”