Biscuits n gravy!

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Biscuits n gravy!

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:32 am

It is certainly no secret that I love biscuits and gravy. This is a regular meal at home; at least twice a week. I've worked diligently on tweaking an old biscuit recipe I originally used and over the course of about a year, it hit perfection. I made these biscuits as well at the restaurant and upon my departure, my recipe came with me. I shared it with nobody there! I topped them with some bacon gravy; I like sausage gravy, the wife is a fan of bacon. We had to parlay on that one and we manage to coexist fairly well there. Lol!

Fresh from the oven and brushed with some butter!
20180123_080651.jpg

All dressed for the party!
20180123_081513.jpg
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Biscuits n gravy!

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:48 am

Oh Lawdy Lawdy "Country Covered Catheads" - - - even after breakfast I could devour that plate right now :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:57 am

Si I guess that means you wont be sharing the biscuit recipe here either?? Evil man!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: But I don't blame you. Look perfect.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:02 am

I had a banana…I hate that stupid banana right now :)

Looks great. Wife broke out the cast iron and made biscuits with sausage gravy this weekend. I thought she was setting me up for something. We just used the canned biscuits but man I’d love to learn to make them. Keep telling myself I’m going to break out the Dutch oven and try campfire style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:30 am

Thanks all! I may be willing to share my biscuit recipe here. Nobody on board close to where I am, therefore no potential threats to business!!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:35 am

If I may ask one question, plez - - - when you knead your dough to you try and not over knead it - - - the reason I'm asking is I saw Billy Ruiz Cowboy Cooking Show and he stressed NOT to knead more than was necessary. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:45 am

I can't wait to see the biscuit recipe.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:58 am

OldUsedParts wrote:If I may ask one question, plez - - - when you knead your dough to you try and not over knead it - - - the reason I'm asking is I saw Billy Ruiz Cowboy Cooking Show and he stressed NOT to knead more than was necessary. :dont:

What constitutes as "more than necessary"?
You don't wanna be rough with it, and you don't wanna knead for too long.. The big myth on biscuits.. Fear not about over kneading biscuits UNLESS you mix your dough in a machine... On high... For 20+ minutes... Biscuits use milk as the primary wet ingredient, not water; where you need not be concerned about gluten formation. If you're using water, you'll need to be careful. Gluten will not form well, if at all, with milk. And if you're making biscuits with water, just stop now!!

I mix my dough in my machine, just til it comes together, then I roll it out and fold it onto itself SEVERAL times. They still turn out fluffy, airy, and layered nicely (depending on how I fold them).

20180123_100109.jpg
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:43 am

Oooohhhhh man! I almost ate my phone. Stop it! Just stop it! Its a thing of beauty
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:53 am

What EVERYONE said. :salut:

Except the part about the banana. I didn't eat one. :laughing7:
Moink!
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:05 pm

BAM!!!!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:18 pm

Txdragon wrote:What constitutes as "more than necessary"?
You don't wanna be rough with it, and you don't wanna knead for too long.. The big myth on biscuits.. Fear not about over kneading biscuits UNLESS you mix your dough in a machine... On high... For 20+ minutes... Biscuits use milk as the primary wet ingredient, not water; where you need not be concerned about gluten formation. If you're using water, you'll need to be careful. Gluten will not form well, if at all, with milk. And if you're making biscuits with water, just stop now!!

I mix my dough in my machine, just til it comes together, then I roll it out and fold it onto itself SEVERAL times. They still turn out fluffy, airy, and layered nicely (depending on how I fold them).

20180123_100109.jpg

Thanks T.D., the proof is in the Picture :tup: :salut: :cheers:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:01 pm

I'm curious now. Looks nice n fluffy.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:17 pm

Russ wrote:I'm curious now. Looks nice n fluffy. Russ

that "fluff" is what we aspire to get with them, Pard - my Dad used to tell my Mom that if you ever dropped one of her biscuits it would end up on the ceiling because they were so light and fluffy - - I've gotten close but I'm not there yet :dont:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:31 pm

I will be gracious enough to post my recipe... After work today!! I'm off in a couple hours and on my last break, not enough time. Stay tuned, y'all!!

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”