Help! I've lost my smoke ring!

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

Re: Help! I've lost my smoke ring!

Postby tri3forme » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:16 pm

Ranchertx wrote:I have had issues with losing the smoke ring at times, and I am convinced it has more to do with the wood you are suing, not having enough moisture in it. I used charcoal and bag hickory for a few cooks and got almost NO ring, I quit using kiln dried wood and my ring came right back.

I used the hearts of post oak...not kiln dried and the wood wasn’t too dry either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't eat to live....I live to eat
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:59 pm

^^ PT has the work around. Celery juice converts to a natural nitrate and in effect, gives the same pink coloring as cure salt. This is a fantastic solution for use on smokers that don't really produce a smoke ring.

It's already been mentioned but the colder, the better. Is it so all the time? Not particularly. The most recent pork butt I did was rubbed and spent the night in my oven. It was certainly around room temps when I put it on the smoker and it got a pretty good ring.
I have noticed though that beef is finicky about it more than others.

My honest pinpoint theory is that it is more in the wood than anything else. Just the same goes for wood as it does meat; no 2 pieces should be expected to behave the same. If you cut the tree and logs yourself, you may see some consistency with all you use from that tree. If you're getting it from a supplier, it's 50/50. This is something I've noticed more than once in the past.[/quote]

The TX dragon is on to me......
Yeah celery is loaded with nitrates/nitrites and will assist the smoke in providing the surface cure.
Although I have not experimented with added moisture I certainly believe it can contribute to the smoke ring since the cold meat causes smoke condensation on the surface holding the nitrites there.
tarde venientibus ossa....
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:25 pm

k.a.m. wrote:How long between seasoning and on the cooker?

Does the amount of time the rub is on prior to smoking make a difference on the smoke ring :?: :dont:

Bill
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:48 pm

bondobill wrote:

Does the amount of time the rub is on prior to smoking make a difference on the smoke ring :?: :dont:

Bill

If you have a low salt rub it may effect the ring if you are usually using a high salt content and say rubbing over night.
Another thing that can effect it is using a heavy mustard slather then applying a thick rub. Then it may just be the cut of beef or pork that just does not create one. I have cooked up to 17 briskets at one time rubbing and panning them all pretty much the same and the smoke ring varies throughout the lot for no reason.
I do know this I use a high salt content rub when I compete and am turning out 5 hour flats cooking between 275° and 325° and always turn out a 1/4" to 3/8" smoke ring. The briskets are rubbed 10 hours before they go on the cooker.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:15 pm

k.a.m. wrote:
bondobill wrote:

Bill

If you have a low salt rub it may effect the ring if you are usually using a high salt content and say rubbing over night.
Another thing that can effect it is using a heavy mustard slather then applying a thick rub. Then it may just be the cut of beef or pork that just does not create one. I have cooked up to 17 briskets at one time rubbing and panning them all pretty much the same and the smoke ring varies throughout the lot for no reason.
I do know this I use a high salt content rub when I compete and am turning out 5 hour flats cooking between 275° and 325° and always turn out a 1/4" to 3/8" smoke ring. The briskets are rubbed 10 hours before they go on the cooker.

Thanks a bunch KAM :D
I'm still just a rookie when it comes to brisket. Maybe done 8 or 10. I had a couple failures at first but have been happy with the last few.
Some have a nice smoke ring, some not so much,tho I've been very happy with the flavor with or without smoke ring.
Some Ive rubbed the night before and some Ive rubbed just prior to going in the smoker. I never kept track of which way gave a better smoke ring. I'm going to need to pay more attention to that.
Got another guestion if you don't mind, KAM. :?:
Would a injection such as Butchers Prime Brisket injection affect a smoke ring :?: And if you would inject a brisket would you inject night before then rub in the morning prior to going in smoker or vice a versa :?:
Sorry for all the questions KAM but I'm still learning and really appreciate yours and others advice here.

Btw I don't use a mustard slather on brisket. Usually just some evoo and Worstchestershire.

Thanks again.
Bill
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:19 pm

I don’t think commercial injections play any part in the smoke ring Bill. We usually only inject at comps and use regular Butchers. I inject just before my base rub layer goes on at 10 hours before cooking.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:15 pm

Thank you Sir KAM :D :salut:

Bill

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”