Preheating Pellet Pooper

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Preheating Pellet Pooper

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 15, 2018 5:34 pm

I'm gonna be cranking up the PP in the morning, I hope very early and I have a question that I've been pondering.
:?: Once your Pellet Grill has lit and you have heat and smoke just how important is it to go to HIGH for 15 -20 minutes :?: Since I'm going to be low and slow for at least two hours or more can I skip the High Pre-heating :?:

Footnote: My grill is super clean and I haven't used it since the last cleaning :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Preheating Pellet Pooper

Postby Papa Tom » Tue May 15, 2018 7:05 pm

If your pit doesn't need sanitizing then you don't need to burn it off.

My pit is rarely that clean so I often burn it off then cool it back down by setting to "Smoke" with the lid open before starting the cook.
But when it is clean I don't worry about preheat at all.
tarde venientibus ossa....
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:49 pm

I don't think pellet poopers get hot enough to burn stuff off. The Rec Tec hits 475 I think.

Getting back to the original question though... I never worry about it if I'm cooking real low for extra smoke. Anything over 250, I let the Rec Tec reach temperature though. Running on high though... Never had to do that. I imagine it varies by manufacturer.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 16, 2018 7:08 am

I've had two Pork Roast on mine since 5:15 at 110 to 130 but that will change in an hour or so, nevertheless, AFTER the cook, I will put it on HIGH for 20 or 30 minutes or more before shutting down for the day. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”