Any type of high heat grill.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Char Broil Grills?

Postby rms827 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:58 pm

I can use a little help on this one...

I got started grilling late in life due to apartment living. My first real grill was a Char-Broil "Tru-Infrared" gas grill. Yeah, I know, Weber is the gold standard for gas grills for regular folks, but we got it cheap. I got fairly good with it, but it's been a pain in some ways. I'm trying to figure out if this thing is worth keeping as a secondary grill for searing, etc... if I should sell it, or just junk it.

My main issue is that the thing runs really hot. I've replaced the regulator, dismantled the thing and cleaned the heck out of the gas tubes, etc... and the coldest the deck thermometers will read when it's running is around 475. Typically it's around 525, and can reach almost 700 with the lid down. Is this normal for gas grills? What I've read indicates I should be able to get a gas grill cooking temperature as low as 350 or so.

The other issues are that the grill plates are a pain in the... rear to clean due to their design. Also, due to the high heat, the stainless steel grill plates have heat discolored so bad that they look like they're rusting out. The electric igniter switch is junk too.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Char Broil Grills?

Postby Rambo » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:09 pm

Come on home to Texas Brother
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:12 pm

My son had one of those Tru- Infrared CB'rs and one day a strong gust came through taking it for a tumble out of the breeze way clear to the middle of the driveway.
He said "it's toast" I looked at it and said I think this is fixable, He said "Don't touch it the wife thinks it's trashed that's all I need..."
He has been happily using a pellet pit backed up with a charcoal grill..
tarde venientibus ossa....
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:13 pm

Papa Tom wrote:My son had one of those Tru- Infrared CB'rs and one day a strong gust came through taking it for a tumble out of the breeze way clear to the middle of the driveway.
He said "it's toast" I looked at it and said I think this is fixable, He said "Don't touch it the wife thinks it's trashed that's all I need..."
He has been happily using a pellet pit backed up with a charcoal grill..

Funny you mention it getting banged up, LOL. We don't need strong wind here, we have UPS delivery. The local guy thinks he's recreating the opening scene of Ace Ventura I, I swear. I spent hours straightening sheet metal and other repairs before I assembled it and got it working. Got Amazon to knock another $150 off the price though rather than have to deal with the return. :mrgreen:

I could deal with the heat discolored grill plates and what a pain to clean it is if it wasn't like trying to cook with a flame thrower.
Rec Tec 680

rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:15 am

OK, last try here... I'd like to fix this thing and sell it to recoup a little of our initial investment. Here's a slightly out of focus pic that shows what I mean...

Since the thermometer is out of focus, I'll just say that where it's nearly pegged out at is 700 degrees. That's with the gas barely over half way on at the know and the valve on the propane bottle opened maybe 2/3 of a turn. I've replaced the regulator once already. Got a non-adjustable one like it originally came with. Note that's 700 degrees with the lid left up also when it was 60 degrees outside.

Here's a pic of my tri tip getting seared so you all can see the condition of the grill plates. They're blackened more than the meat, LOL.

I'm at a loss here. Almost all google search results turn up the opposite issue with gas not flowing after the regulator is tripped or the gas lines get clogged. The other few posts are very helpful and consist of turn down the gas. :angryfire: :banghead:

I can turn it down to the point it no longer stays burning and up to that point it'l still run at almost 500 degrees.
Rec Tec 680

rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:15 am

Well, nobody here did have an answer. Interesting update though. I saw somebody selling a used one online (exact same model) and emailed asking if they had similar issues. He said his was doing the exact same thing and he had to run it on dead low to fast cook. Guess it's a known Char-Broil defect at this point.
Rec Tec 680

nickcooksbbq USER_AVATAR
nickcooksbbq
Pilgrim

Postby nickcooksbbq » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:23 am

Any chance it’s setup for natural gas instead of propane? Lots of brands sell both LP and NG models. NG is going to use a different (larger) sized orphus to allow more gas thru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Founder of Tulsa Barbecue School
Ambassador for Hasty Bake Charcoal Grills
Head Fire-Wrangler at Ambassadors of Smoke Competition Barbecue Team
Texas Barbecue Advocate
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:09 am

:tup: very good point from, Nick :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:14 pm

nickcooksbbq wrote:Any chance it’s setup for natural gas instead of propane? Lots of brands sell both LP and NG models. NG is going to use a different (larger) sized orphus to allow more gas thru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, that's the most logical explanation, Nick. Really it's the first thing I've heard that actually makes sense at all as a possible explanation. I actually went back and looked at the listing on Amazon from my order history. MAYBE they accidentally built it with NG burners (or did it to cover a parts shortage), but it is supposed to be a propane system that can be converted to NG if you buy a separate kit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H ... UTF8&psc=1

EDIT: After Nick's post, I think I'm going to contact Char-Broil and see if I do have incorrect burners.
Rec Tec 680

bbqking95
Pilgrim

Postby bbqking95 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:29 am

Well, when I bought my grill, that was not gas grill or electric, I saw on their website a blog post about grills. They had a subsection about non-charcoal grills.

I don't want to be a spammer or anything just trying to help a guy out and maybe someone else finds it useful - https://gizzo.co/blogs/news/small-charcoal-grills
scott76067
Pilgrim

Postby scott76067 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:28 am

late to the party but you need the grill grates that go on top of what youre cooking on.

Return to “Charcoal Grills, Gas Grills and Disc Cookers”