Parting ways after 18 rough years

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Parting ways after 18 rough years

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:14 pm

Well, I must say goodbye to my old faithful Dewalt 18 volt XRP and 12 volt XR Impact. This may take a bit to read, just forwarning you guys.
So let's do some math, from 2000 till 2005, they were used daily drilling 1" holes in Crown Vics, Explorers, Impalas, E350 Vans and undercover Taxi Cab rooves for light bars and antennas. Plus, steel bumbers for push bumpers.
So, the company I worked for had a contract ( still does :) ) with NYPD each year with about 350 vehicles per year.
I touched pretty close to all 1,750 vehicles as i was the only one " tall enough " lol, to reach the center of the roof on the Vans so I got that part of the job for all.
Over the years, the drills were used on 2 decks and recently on my deck last month replacing the spindles. 5 screws for each spindle, 120 spindles.
Add in the fact that we started our " ring " making business in 2013 and since have made over 1,000 rings, we use hand drills to sand and polish every ring..." I'm pretty sure these rings are what did them in "...

Anyways, the batteries started to not hold a charge and the internals of the drills started getting loud and sloppy.
It wasn't worth buying new batteries so I picked up a new 20 volt Hammer drill with 3 speeds. 3 speeds was a Necessity because I need the 2,000 rpm's for my wet sanding and polishing.
I bought a 20 volt impact as well because the old one was on it's last leg. Hopefully DeWalt doesn't let me down with these as I know certain companies over time get LAX in thier products. Now realistically, I don't expect these to last 18 years like the last set, but we will see.

Just wanted to share some new " bling " for us woodworking guys :):)ImageImageImageImageImageImage
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Parting ways after 18 rough years

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:02 pm

Oooooooohhhhh new toys, nice!

I found that same issue a year or so ago when I thought I’d just buy new batteries. Not worth it, you can go new for almost the same price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Parting ways after 18 rough years

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:34 pm

Sooner, quick story that should make you laugh, probably make everyone laugh lol !!
As I noted in the original post, I worked on plain Jane police package Ford's.
We would get them off the trailer right from the dealer and in a few days, they were back on a trailer, all striped up and Turn Key NYC police cars.

I'm sure Bondo Bill will be laughing up above at this one as well...
One day I was drilling a roof on a E350 van. I'm almost 6'6" and even for me it was a balancing act standing one foot on the floor board and the other on the passenger seat pressing my back against the inside of the open door to keep me wedged in.
Well, we used special antenna bits that resembled hole saws, but the teeth were very very fine and they had a short collar so that you didn't go into the headliner once the hole was cut thru. Over time, just like any bit in constant use on metal it gets dull.
Once it gets to that point, the teeth heat up and break away like flying shrapnell ! But usually just before that happens, it will just " bind " up.
Now, at this point anyone with common sense will take the time to climb down and get a new saw insert.
Well, I figured since I was 75% thru the roof and the blade was already toast, I'd just let it fly and bear down on it instead of getting down.
I knew better, but nooooooooo.... I had to be a moron, lol.

Picture my left hand holding the rain lip supporting my upper half of my body and the other hand is holding the 18 volt drilling away. At this point, my head is dead even level with the drill.

Well, if you've ever used one of the old style 18 volt xrp dewalts on high speed and you weren't on a " clutch " setting and it decided to bind up, things won't end well.
I had this on high speed because on low it will bind up with the small tooth count, so for antenna saws they work better on medium or high speed.

So I'm bearing down on it, smokin the bit just eye level and the bit grabs the roofing material, instantly locks the bit dead stopped, and the entire drill comes out of my hand and swings around and the battery pack cracks me square in the temple !!
Knocks me off the seat and fall back against the inner door panel which luckily kept me somewhat in the van, LMAO !!!

So, the first thing I did with this 20 volt was put it on low torque and see if I could even remotely slow it down or stop it...

Verdict ---. IT LAUGHED AT ME..

Anyways, just wanted to tell that story from almost 20 years ago, I still laugh at it :)
bsooner75 wrote:Oooooooohhhhh new toys, nice!

I found that same issue a year or so ago when I thought I’d just buy new batteries. Not worth it, you can go new for almost the same price.

allenayres USER_AVATAR
allenayres
Rustler

Postby allenayres » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:42 pm

Nice tools!

Yes, those things will rip your arm off, no exaggeration :shock: :laughing7:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:12 pm

LOL! I’m sure it want funny then but you did paint quite the visual

woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:16 pm

allenayres wrote:Nice tools!

Yes, those things will rip your arm off, no exaggeration :shock: :laughing7:
Thx man !

Yeah, and crack ya in da head too, lol
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:19 pm

bsooner75 wrote:LOL! I’m sure it want funny then but you did paint quite the visual

Oh no, it was absolutely hysterical when it happened !
Just the sound alone caught everyone's attention !
After I composed myself, got past the humiliation of my own stupidity and felt the lump of stupidity on the side of my head we all laughed about it:)
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:40 pm

Dewalt makes some mighty fine tools. I had an old cordless 12v drill and took it in for something. I was given a new one as my old one was on a recall. I used it until I got my 18v. I still owe it and very happy with it.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:57 am

Cool Stuff, Poco Pal, especially the "bear down and MAKE IT WORK" Story - - - - DeWalts ROCK - - - :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:47 am

Tools are what separates man from the animal kingdom :rose:
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:13 am

Good luck with the new tools, WV. I especially like how the newer drills have built-in LEDs.

I had an old 12V Dewalt drill that I finally replaced a couple of years ago, since the battery was shot. As you've all mentioned, it's not worth replacing the batteries (holds true for many cordless devices).
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:29 am

A little insight to DeWalt. The parent company is Black & Decker. They also own Stanley, Bostitch, Craftsman, MAC Tools, Irwin and Porter Cable plus several others. While I trust most of the brands named at the end of the day they are all under the same umbrella now. While it can help with R&D cost, everyone ends up with the same technology be it good or bad.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:47 pm

Got a little DeWalt story of my own, Poco Pal - - year before last my Contrator friend that does most all of my work around here told me he was upgrading his Cordless Stuff. So I asked him what he had and he replied, "I have a 2 drills, a skill saw, hand vacuum, grinder, 2 batteries, a charger, a varible recip saw and a radio/CD player that can be used for power in emergencies." When I asked him what he wanted for all of it, he replied $300 and I said "Sold". No way I needed or could use all of it so I gave my 4 sons (2 bio - 2 step) their choices of what they wanted and I ended up with a drill, vacuum, varible recip saw, battery and charger.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:03 pm

GTR wrote:A little insight to DeWalt. The parent company is Black & Decker. They also own Stanley, Bostitch, Craftsman, MAC Tools, Irwin and Porter Cable plus several others. While I trust most of the brands named at the end of the day they are all under the same umbrella now. While it can help with R&D cost, everyone ends up with the same technology be it good or bad.
Yeah, I've heard of that in the past. Looks like I got a couple of good ones the last time around, hopefully it's a repeat ?
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:04 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Got a little DeWalt story of my own, Poco Pal - - year before last my Contrator friend that does most all of my work around here told me he was upgrading his Cordless Stuff. So I asked him what he had and he replied, "I have a 2 drills, a skill saw, hand vacuum, grinder, 2 batteries, a charger, a varible recip saw and a radio/CD player that can be used for power in emergencies." When I asked him what he wanted for all of it, he replied $300 and I said "Sold". No way I needed or could use all of it so I gave my 4 sons (2 bio - 2 step) their choices of what they wanted and I ended up with a drill, vacuum, varible recip saw, battery and charger.
You guys scored pretty well my friend :):)

Return to “General Discussion”