18.47 Pounds!

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

18.47 Pounds!

Postby rms827 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:41 pm

IMG_1532.JPG
BIG Un

And best of all, even at Costco a blind squirrel can occasionally find a nut (as the Georgia version goes)... Check out that nice thick flat!

IMG_1533.JPG

It's going to be good eating tomorrow:

IMG_1534.JPG
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
J4CKBOLT
Pilgrim

Re: 18.47 Pounds!

Postby J4CKBOLT » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:28 pm

$3.69/LB for Prime....nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:18 pm

Well...
Attachments
E8831A73-5DAA-4B93-8850-33C1BF2FF969.jpeg
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:01 am

I was stoked finding this thing... A bit disappointed and frustrated after spending over an hour trimming it though. No scale, but I swear there was a good 7 pounds of fat on this thing:

IMG_1537.JPG

Just as annoying alot of the fat on the flat end of the fat cap was that stringy, silver skin laden fat like you see in corned beef. Trimming that gunk back left the fat cap pretty thin in places. Good thing I ultra low and slow my brisket.

IMG_1538.JPG

It's on the Rec-Tec cooking away for a little over an hour now. Probably another 12 or 13 to go... Smelling great, but I still feel a bit ripped off by Costco. That was 2 or 3 times what I normally trim off a brisket.
Rec Tec 680

rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:16 am

8 hours in and I dialed the temp up from 180 to 215... THis one is definitely getting slow smoked. :D
Rec Tec 680

twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:37 am

cant wait to see that Briskey SIR, 8)
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:39 am

9 1/2 hours in and we're just hitting 130 IT... I'm thinking I'm going to need to wrap here pretty quick if I'm going to have it ready to serve in another 6
Rec Tec 680

woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:52 am

Its gonna turn out great, don't let the fat ruin ur mojo. I understand ur frustration but its not just Costco with some of these cuts. I've had this happen with 2 other big named wholesale clubs that I won't mention and luckily I found a good butcher that I became good friends with at another food chain that is actually a privately owned store so I get the extra attention and its much appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing the nom noms when ur finished.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:10 am

Yikes, that's enough tallow to make a ton of candles. :shock: Do you use the trimmed fat for anything?

But I'm sure the brisket will be goooooood.
Moink!
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:26 am

Sailor Kenshin wrote:Yikes, that's enough tallow to make a ton of candles. :shock: Do you use the trimmed fat for anything?

Nothing food related with the fat. I'm not totally fat adverse, but I do try to keep my fat intake to a modest amount to help avoid health issues. I suppose I could make candles or soap out of it and be a good California beatnick. :mrgreen:

woodenvisions wrote:Its gonna turn out great, don't let the fat ruin ur mojo. I understand ur frustration but its not just Costco with some of these cuts. I've had this happen with 2 other big named wholesale clubs that I won't mention and luckily I found a good butcher that I became good friends with at another food chain that is actually a privately owned store so I get the extra attention and its much appreciated.

I don't mind the trimming work, Wooden. What chaps my hide is that almost 1/3 of the money we paid was for waste. Brisket is naturally fatty, but that's easily twice what I've trimmed off and thrown out from my other Costco briskets.

Anyhow, since I felt like the internal temp was behind the curve, I cranked up the Rec-Tec to 235. Temperature is slowly creeping up now. :) I"m doing my best to keep it below 250 to maximize the smoke it gets.
Rec Tec 680

woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: 18.47 Pounds!

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:45 am

rms827 wrote:[quote="Sailor Kenshin"]Yikes, that's enough tallow to make a ton of candles. :shock: Do you use the trimmed fat for anything?

Nothing food related with the fat. I'm not totally fat adverse, but I do try to keep my fat intake to a modest amount to help avoid health issues. I suppose I could make candles or soap out of it and be a good California beatnick. :mrgreen:

[quote="woodenvisions"]Its gonna turn out great, don't let the fat ruin ur mojo. I understand ur frustration but its not just Costco with some of these cuts. I've had this happen with 2 other big named wholesale clubs that I won't mention and luckily I found a good butcher that I became good friends with at another food chain that is actually a privately owned store so I get the extra attention and its much appreciated.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk[/quote]

I don't mind the trimming work, Wooden. What chaps my hide is that almost 1/3 of the money we paid was for waste. Brisket is naturally fatty, but that's easily twice what I've trimmed off and thrown out from my other Costco briskets.

Anyhow, since I felt like the internal temp was behind the curve, I cranked up the Rec-Tec to 235. Temperature is slowly creeping up now. :) I"m doing my best to keep it below 250 to maximize the smoke it gets.[/quote]Yeah man that's a bummer for sure. I used to work at a restaurant supply company and there were times where Our supplier too us had to go ( elsewhere ) for the same quality we demanded. In turn, we'd have to pay more. Some companies refused to pay more so in turn they would get inferior cuts which had more fat and bone and it just trickled down to the end user, the customer at home unfortunately.
Not saying that's what happened here, but its possible.
Sometimes there are 3 or 4 middle guys before it gets to us which is no good either. I watched my old boss go thru hoops just to keep his customers from going to another supplier just to save 3 cents a # on bulk 58/59 # blocks of Mozzarella cheese.
Unfortunately for him he ended up closing his business after 30 years, luckily I cut out 2 years before that happened.
Save a Penney here save a Penney there, its a brutal cut throat business.

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:46 am

We save beef fat to grease the grills. :laughing7:

And yes, I'd be annoyed by the amount of waste, too. Here, they usually hide it by packaging with the 'good' side up.
Moink!
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:56 pm

OK, so this is odd... The brisket had been stalled at 160 for a while. I wrap it, then let it sit for 10 minutes while I fight to get the smoker working again, then plug the thermometer probe into it, and it says 187... Even after moving it. I'm not sure if I should trust it or not.
Rec Tec 680

redbeardbbq USER_AVATAR
Redbeardbbq
Pilgrim

Postby Redbeardbbq » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:15 pm

You probably hit a fat patch. I would let it rise past the stall before wrapping. Somewhere around 170 or so is where I wrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:34 pm

Looks like my usually reliable digital thermometer glitched when it was at 160. The mechanical and per thermometer were saying 145 in multiple places, BUT it had been 16 hours. By the time I stopped guessing, the temp had risen to 195 on the good thermometer. Pulled the brisket and let it rest an hour before cutting and serving. It was definitely a bit overcooked... A little drier and tougher than normal. Still good but not up to par with the last two briskets. Did the drape it over the finger test and the slice only bent about 45 degrees on each side :( Looks good in pics though...

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1545.JPG

Y'all get to see desert tomorrow since we were celebrating early. :P
Rec Tec 680

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”