Return of the Great CAlifornia Smoker

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Return of the Great CAlifornia Smoker

Postby rms827 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:43 pm

Free of the fires for months and back to blue skies, and the next round starts

IMG_1688.JPG
1:30 in the afternoon

The crazy thing is, just like last time, these fires are a good HUNDRED miles away. It just shows what a fish bowl or smoker the central valley is for trapping smoke.

I posted a few pictures in my Reno hot air balloons thread over the summer showing just how out of control the underbrush is in this state's forest areas also. Trying to keep things less political than a few of my posts before life pulled me away from the site for a while. Suffice it to say reports of the state mismanaging it's forests are true. It mismanages everything. :P
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Return of the Great CAlifornia Smoker

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:06 pm

Hope Y'all didn't suffer any personal property damage thru all of that - - - - we've finally got some clear blue skies and sun even tho they are predicting 38 for a low. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:13 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Hope Y'all didn't suffer any personal property damage thru all of that - - - - we've finally got some clear blue skies and sun even tho they are predicting 38 for a low. :tup: :salut:

Nah, as said, those last and present fires were all a good hundred miles away. Worst we had to deal with was bad air, and washing down the cars and cleaning off the grills and patio furniture. Compared to alot of folks in the fire zones, we got by easy.
Rec Tec 680

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:16 pm

:tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Looks like a bad one. My heart goes out to everybody suffering through this.
Moink!
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:41 pm

I think the fire grew by 4000 acres overnight the day I posted this. It's still spreading but slowly coming under control. It's still a good 75 miles or so from us, but I admit, we're keeping an eye on it even though I've got a feeling the worst is over.

Gotta get on my soap box yet again for a minute too. The reporting on this and the SoCal fires has been utterly shameful and exploitative. All I see on local and national news is scenes of destruction and NO information about predicted paths of the fire, what's being done to stop it, estimated time till containment, etc... My grandfather was deputy state fire marshall so I know those kind of predictions can be a crap shoot. They're so busy pointing out that people are homeless they're doing nothing to tell them where shelters and such can be found. It's so bad they're even putting their own people at risk. It seems to be a game to see who can get the closest shot of the fire, and one Reuters crew nearly got BBQ'ed in the process.

Then there's the anything to make Trump look bad aspect. TONS of coverage devoted to disproving the mismanagement accusation. I laughed last night. They had a senior forestry official who had nasty things to say and denied that the forest was mismanaged. Afterwards he went on to explain that the problem was that 100 years ago there were about 40 trees per acre and far less underbrush. Today the forest averages 100 trees per acre and there's more dry underbrush to act as fuel. Well if that isn't mismanagement, what the heck is??
Rec Tec 680

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:13 pm

Texas is sending several of their Units to help contain this, even some from our little town of Willis :texas:
We went thru some Horrible Wildfires around here several years ago and it can be a very awakening experience to the Home Owner.
Wishing Y'all the best with this. :salut:
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Re: Return of the Great California Smoker

Postby rms827 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:46 pm

We're surviving here, lousy air quality aside. Chances are pretty small that the fire is going to get even half the remaining distance here. I'm more concerned about the folks already hit. The town of Paradise for example, where the fire started, was a retirement community in the foothills. Seniors in mobile homes just quietly trying to live out their lives. Now the town is gone.
Rec Tec 680

Return to “General Discussion”