Trying to cook more than fits in my smoker

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jyl11002
Pilgrim

Trying to cook more than fits in my smoker

Postby jyl11002 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:08 pm

So there are times where I'm looking to have 2 briskets (or more).
I have at my disposal a large commercial convection oven, so I was wondering if anyone here has taken a brisket, smoked it about halfway through, then refrigerated it, and then finished it in a oven a day or so later.
Or any other suggestions as I can't even fit a single brisket uncut in my smoker.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Trying to cook more than fits in my smoker

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:43 pm

I'm gonna stick my neck out and prepare for the "bashing" when I say that "I have done many briskets half and half. Three or so hours over Charcoal and then finished in a Reynolds Oven Bag" :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: Now let me also add that they had zero bark but were tender and juicy :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: However, I did not give them any Frig time. It was all done in several hours. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:05 pm

I've done the same thing for the brisket tacos we served at the restaurant. I'd give them some smoke first then finish them in the oven. OUP called it; not much bark to speak of but, you surely get the smoke you wanted :cheers:
(Insert witty signature here)
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:18 pm

And I had used The Long Island Crutch more than once: finishing in a slow cooker.
Moink!
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:41 pm

No bashing here. Sometimes circumstances and time just don't allow for the traditional method. Improvise, Adapt, Overcome. :salut: :cheers: :chef: :mrgreen:
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:18 am

rms827 wrote:No bashing here. Sometimes circumstances and time just don't allow for the traditional method. Improvise, Adapt, Overcome. :salut: :cheers: :chef: :mrgreen:

Except when Boiling Pork Ribs :roll: :dont: :whiteflag: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :salut: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:04 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
rms827 wrote:No bashing here. Sometimes circumstances and time just don't allow for the traditional method. Improvise, Adapt, Overcome. :salut: :cheers: :chef: :mrgreen:

Except when Boiling Pork Ribs :roll: :dont: :whiteflag: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :salut: :salut:

And then, you'll NEVER live it down!
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:42 pm

I too have started outside only to run out of firewood, lump and having it rain caused me to finish inside with great results. except the mushy bark it turned out great.
now I have a "friend" who ALWAYS starts his ribs outside and finishes off in the oven. :dont:

RG
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:33 pm

Txdragon wrote:
OldUsedParts wrote:

And then, you'll NEVER live it down!

Boiling ribs isn't overcoming, it's crashing and burning on a nuclear level. Months back, I saw an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives that featured a restaurant that did that. Guy Fieri raved about how good the ribs were too. I took his BBQ'incard away and tore it up and then burned it for y'all. :banghead: :salut:
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:09 am

Wasn't that the restaurant in Toronto that served an odd combo of flavor but then placed it in a pan with the sauce to get incorporated?
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:45 am

When T-Dragon, Sooner or your's truly mentions "THAT Rib Boiler" we are Ribbin (pun intended) our Newzie Pardnah, Russ. He knows that it's all in fun and that, we know "Paybacks are Heck" :rose: :salut:
smoking piney USER_AVATAR
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Postby Smoking Piney » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:22 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I'm gonna stick my neck out and prepare for the "bashing" when I say that "I have done many briskets half and half. Three or so hours over Charcoal and then finished in a Reynolds Oven Bag" :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: Now let me also add that they had zero bark but were tender and juicy :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: However, I did not give them any Frig time. It was all done in several hours. :salut:

I won't bash this at all. Once you get the smoke you want, the rest of the cook is just heat. It doesn't matter if it's an oven or a smoker. I agree with the bark, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. :D

@jyl11002 - it looks like it's time to lay the groundwork to look for a bigger cooker. I planned my groveling well when I first approached my wife about my Assassin. Persistence, patience and timing paid off - I wore her down. :D
John - Hopelessly addicted to smoking and grilling. :D
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:55 pm

Nothing like a Happy Ending :tup: :salut: :cheers:
rockinar
Pilgrim

Postby rockinar » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:49 pm

rms827 wrote:
Boiling ribs isn't overcoming, it's crashing and burning on a nuclear level. Months back, I saw an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives that featured a restaurant that did that. Guy Fieri raved about how good the ribs were too. I took his BBQ'incard away and tore it up and then burned it for y'all. :banghead: :salut:

A Californian with a pellet smoker talking about removing a guys BBQ man card. That's rich.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:16 am

rockinar wrote:
rms827 wrote:

A Californian with a pellet smoker talking about removing a guys BBQ man card. That's rich.

Get down, get down!!! Shots fired!!!

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”