is any one

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mel USER_AVATAR
mel
Bandolero

is any one

Postby mel » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:42 am

having trouble getting in to their car I had one heck of a time getting in to my truck this morning do to all the ice was late to open the shop most of my employees are late one I did not think heck or high water would stop from getting to work I guess ice is a little different.
MELs We have you covered
www.mels-bbq-covers.com
made in the USA

1-800-569-3592
Allie

Postby Allie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:04 am

Les had a hard time getting our back door open at 6:15. The little window in it is covered in frost. Then the car was completely covered in ice and it took him a while to get it open. After he started it, he came back in and pulled up the weather for Grand Rapids since they were supposed to work in that area. Hearing about how much worse it is there than here, he and his brother decided to stay home today. I noticed Goshen schools closed. We're still under a 2 hour delay but our school rarely ever calls it before 8:45. While it may be nice for them, it's quite annoying for working parents who have to make arrangements for child care. Thank goodness, I stay home and don't have to worry about it! It's still only 3 here and the wind is still blowing pretty hard.
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:37 am

The same around here. Getting ready for storm number two!! There was quite a bit of storm damage around here, but nothing for our neighborhood.
buckle up for Thursday and Friday!
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
Allie

Postby Allie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:36 am

My kids did end up having school. They're waiting for the bus right now. It is soooo cold out there with that wind!

Laura, I am dreading that one.....they're saying 6-10 inches of snow up our way.
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:46 am

Allie wrote:My kids did end up having school. They're waiting for the bus right now. It is soooo cold out there with that wind!

Laura, I am dreading that one.....they're saying 6-10 inches of snow up our way.

My kids get on the bus at 7am, and I was kinda ticked that they didn't have a delay. It was way too cold to stand out at the bus stop for 5-10 minutes! :x
They are saying a mix of snow and ice here, and I would rather have the snow! Thankfully, I am not working friday!
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

Kalrog
Rustler

Postby Kalrog » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:51 am

No problems here - although it was a chilly 34* this morning.
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:57 am

Kalrog wrote:No problems here - although it was a chilly 34* this morning.

At 7am here, it was about -5 with windchill! :shock:
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

Allie

Postby Allie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:10 am

Ash ended up waiting outside for over 25 minutes in the -10 to -20 windchills. I understand having school but if the buses can't get here on time, then maybe they need to think about cancelling. They want them at the bus stop and since we can't see her bus coming, I can't keep her inside. GRR!
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:24 am

Allie wrote:Ash ended up waiting outside for over 25 minutes in the -10 to -20 windchills. I understand having school but if the buses can't get here on time, then maybe they need to think about cancelling. They want them at the bus stop and since we can't see her bus coming, I can't keep her inside. GRR!

I would have been calling the school administration! Frostbite in those temps can set in in about 2-3 minutes with any exposed skin. That is just crazy! I think the powers that be need to stand out with these kids and go thru what they go thru! Especially in the country where there aren't any windbreaks, etc. That really ticks me off!
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:29 am

copkid wrote:
Allie wrote:Ash ended up waiting outside for over 25 minutes in the -10 to -20 windchills. I understand having school but if the buses can't get here on time, then maybe they need to think about cancelling. They want them at the bus stop and since we can't see her bus coming, I can't keep her inside. GRR!

I would have been calling the school administration! Frostbite in those temps can set in in about 2-3 minutes with any exposed skin. That is just crazy! I think the powers that be need to stand out with these kids and go thru what they go thru! Especially in the country where there aren't any windbreaks, etc. That really ticks me off!

I remember that I had to walk to school everyday. The trip was 10 miles, uphill both ways. The mornings weren't so bad as I'd carry my hot baked potatoe (my lunch) which would keep my fingers warm. :lol:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:33 am

DATsBBQ wrote:
copkid wrote:

I remember that I had to walk to school everyday. The trip was 10 miles, uphill both ways. The mornings weren't so bad as I'd carry my hot baked potatoe (my lunch) which would keep my fingers warm. :lol:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:57 am

I had a heckuvatime cause the garage is so dang cold when I get in my truck, but she starts up just fine every morning :wink: :D
mel USER_AVATAR
mel
Bandolero

Postby mel » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:09 am

SteerCrazy wrote:I had a heckuvatime cause the garage is so dang cold when I get in my truck, but she starts up just fine every morning :wink: :D
:roll: :roll:
some of us arnt so lucky :cry:
MELs We have you covered
www.mels-bbq-covers.com
made in the USA

1-800-569-3592
Allie

Postby Allie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:07 pm

copkid wrote:

It doesn't do any good at all to call them. Believe me, I've tried. Last year, I took Les to work driving about 10 mph over 20 miles one way and still slipping and sliding. Would you believe they didn't even delay? I called and ranted. Twice, I've called the school line to find out about cancellations or delays and heard there was a delay or closing, only to find out AFTER the bus shows up that the message wasn't changed from the day before! Believe me, I've let them know about that as well. One of the teachers told me that a delay about a month ago wasn't even announced until she and several other teachers were already on their way to school. Communication is awful in this school system from the top on down.

Thankfully, our car cranked this time but the last time temps dropped like this, we had to call Les's brother to come over with the battery charger. It's still in the car if we need it. lol
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: is any one

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:41 pm

mel wrote:having trouble getting in to their car I had one heck of a time getting in to my truck this morning do to all the ice was late to open the shop most of my employees are late one I did not think heck or high water would stop from getting to work I guess ice is a little different.

So the way I see it heck or high water is one thing but heck or hard water is entirely another story.
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “General Discussion”