NuWave Steak

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

NuWave Steak

Postby Professor Bunky » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:22 pm

A few days ago we brought home from a thrift store a new toy: a NuWave Oven Pro in barely used condition. Of course we had to test it out. We first tried something easy - grilled cheese and ham sandwiches, which it did quite well. Today, we decided to give something a bit harder and cooked a steak (a porterhouse we boned out) and some chunked veggies (brussel sprouts, onyuns & carrots). To make it a fair test, we cooked the veggies separately (in a pan) and then cooked the steak.

The results were mixed. The veggies came out pretty good, but even though the steak was properly cooked to rare/medium-rare, it didn't get browned.

woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: NuWave Steak

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:37 pm

Hey there PB, congrats on ur Nu Wave.
I'm not sure if you've seen past pics from me using our Nu Wave " when we had one " but we used to use ours constantly.
I'm betting that you don't have the power adjusted properly.

Make sure you have it on power 10 ....

I've cooked almost everything in that thing before I dropped the lid when it was during the winter in the garage and cracked it .
Working on getting another one.

Don't give up on it, once you get it figured out you will LOVE IT.
No lie, if makes PERFECT Prime Rib !!

It also cooks chicken from frozen with perfection.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:51 pm

Thanks for the tips, WV. We're certainly not giving up on it. We've only used it at the default power setting of 10 (350 deg).
I hope you can get as lucky as we were & find one at a thrift store or garage sale, for the replacement lid. :D
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:29 pm

And we are using it exclusively this week. More vejables to come, possibly marinated chops, maybe even a ham steak.

Thanks, WV!
Moink!
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:39 am

Sounds good, just double check ur instructions and search on the web on how to get a good sear or crust on your food. We have/HAD 4 of these in the family and every one of us had to make adjustments because we " thought" we had it set right but wasn't.
My FIL was ready to launch his across his yard into the road because he had it set on the wrong setting trying to cook chicken breasts. He was 2 hours into the cook and they weren't even close to done lol !!
He says to me...This thing is the biggest #;&&::\/%÷=/\\:##=%\*&!! .....blah blah blah.....
I told him, you better let me look at your settings. Sure enough, it was on something like " fart temp warm "..
I said, u best throw that chicken away and not trust it.
Adjusted the setting for him and he Loves Pork Chops in it. If you can master MOIST Pork Chops ur on a roll.

Anyways, good luck with it and use that 2 way heating rack accordingly.

One last thing..
If ur using the 3" rack and you have " foil" over your food, make sure the foil is held down tight around the food because the circulation fan in the motor up top WILL suck it up into the housing causing slower cook times.
Could happen with the 1" rack too, but any time realistically that you have foil close to the top.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:01 am

I'd certainly clean that plate with no problem - - - "If at first you don't succeed Dry Fry again" :tup: :chef:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:07 am

Thanks for the additional tips, WV. I'll double check the settings for the next cook. :salut:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:21 am

as far as experiments go that one looks pretty good. Best part is it should only get better so thats a big W for y'all.
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:11 pm

Did more vejables today....but they look exactly like the other ones, so no pic. :laughing7:

OUP, if you trip over one of these at a yard sale or thrift store, they roast quartered Brussells sprouts really well. Five minutes, stir, five more.
Moink!
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:02 am

looks like you are having better luck than we are with the air fryer, good for you!!
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:34 pm

This time, we did Ham 'n' Chez McMuffins for breakfast.

Very good, but breakfast sams on toast work better; you just insert sammie, filling and all, flip when one side is brown, then brown the second side. With the muffins, we had to first toast the insides, then assemble the filling onto the open muffins, close, and toast each side.

Then this steak was done semi-frozen, along with some taters 'n' onyawns. It was, again, okay, and quite rare inside, but I prefer my ridged pan for indoor steakage. We can't get a good sear with the NuWave. We can't get any sear at all! :dont:

Moink!
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:11 pm

The potatoes & onyawns were very good, but we had to cook them first, before broiling the steak.

Spacetrucker, is your air fryer dissapointing?
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:18 am

Hi Sailor and PB,

One of the reasons that you will never get a good sear on those steaks in the Nu Wave is because it was cooked from frozen. There is just way too much moisture in a frozen steak that the humidity in that air chamber will never let it sear or crust up. I would suggest doing a steak next time that is Not frozen if possible. With a fresh steak I would Definitely let it rest on the counter a good 45 minutes at room temp first. Just very lightly coat the steaks with Olive Oil and season it fairly heavy with coarse salt and pepper and use the 3"rack so the meat is very close to the fan on top. Try on high heat and turn it once to get the other side cooked.
I can't give you exact times, but I would expect maybe 5 minutes each side.

I would check for doneness at this point.

P.S, I never probe my steaks for fear of the juices escaping so I've always used my nephews method he showed me long ago.
I've heard of it before but never thought it held any water until I've actually tried it and its all I use now.

On ur left hand, touch your thumb to your index finger.
Now with your right hand, use ur index finger and poke at that ball of flesh just below the base of ur thumb on ur left hand.

That's what a Rare steak should feel like.

Next finger will be medium to medium rare.

Next will be medium to medium well.

And the pinky finger will be closer to well done.

Some may call this b.s. and I'm ok with that because I was once one of those that didn't believe it, but its always worked for me every time.

Just a little something to try.

Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:42 am

I know that test, WV, thanks! Usually I just tap the steak with tongs. I can tell.

The first steak we did in there was not frozen, but we did NOT let it get to room temp, I don't think.
Moink!
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:52 am

If you decide to part with it and want to make a few $ please let me know. I'd gladly buy it from you guys

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”