Cravin me a Steak

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Cravin me a Steak

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:35 am

I picked up a 1 lb 1/2" thick NY Beef Loin Strip yesterday with the intention of grilling me a piece of Red Meat today. Since this cut is not the best or tenderest cut, I thought I'd try something different prior to Grilling it. I took the tenderizing mallet to both sides and introduced some Zesty Italian Dressing in the process. Then I covered both sides with my very favorite steak seasoning, Suckle Busters Campfire Steak Seasoning. Got it boxed and in the frig until grill time. More later after we get back from town. GRRRRRR
P3140001.JPG

P3140002.JPG

P3140004.JPG

P3140005.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: Cravin me a Steak

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:05 pm

Zesty Italian works wonders !!

And beating your meat definitely helps the process
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:40 pm

Don’t forget to rub your meat after you beat it.
What are you grilling it on Buddy?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:22 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :laughing7:

Cooked it on my Kingsford Kettle over Kingsford Charcoal. I used a grill mat to try and get some grill marks but not only did I not get grill marks, I didn't even get the slightest crust/sear. However, it turned out great and was plenty tender but not melt in your mouth tender. The next time I think I'll only put the Dressing on one side and very lightly also. Also think I'll go back to the smaller Filet/Tenderloin Cut because this was really too much for me but I ate it all "burp" . Sides are obvious but were not beaten or rubbed. :oops: :roll: :D

P3150007.JPG

P3150008.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:43 pm

it sure looks good, most any piece of meat can be beaten into submission....
Looks like ya are shoppin HEB try a piece of prime and see what ya think about it, the wife likes the prime steaks but not the prime price...
she bought a choice T-bone the other day, I was about ready to see if I could thread some shoelaces into it... :angryfire:
HEB has those little bacon wrapped tenderloins, she will get those sometimes for 3 or 4 bucks each they are pretty decent..
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:30 pm

S.T. I've been pretty happy with all the beef I've gotten at H.E.B. and the bacon wrapped filets "without the bacon" are the ones best suited for my appetite. :tup: :salut: :cheers:
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:40 pm

Look's pretty dang good to me :cheers: but next time cook mine just a tad bit longer please. :salut: :texas:
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:55 pm

"OUP", I got to thinking about how good your steak look's and it got me to thinking about "The Cowboy Way", the waiter asked Pepper how he would like his steak cooked and he told him, Oh, just knock its horns off, wipe its nasty arss, and chunk it right here on this plate. :laughing7: :laughing7:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:13 pm

Parts - you nailed the cook! Looks good. As far as sear marks goes, the mat won’t give you that. If you are looking for marks like the comp steak guys, they use an add on called Grill Grates. I don’t have a set but they sure look nice. You can even flip them over and get an all over crust like a griddle or cast iron pan.

WillieP - best line in that whole dang movie :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:51 pm

Looks good Emm !

Hint hint.. Grapeseed Oil, White Hot Cast Iron, Oven hint hint.
smoking piney USER_AVATAR
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Postby Smoking Piney » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:07 pm

OUP,

It's hard to get a sear without washing off the Italian dressing. I like Italian a lot for a marinade....tons of taste added, but it keeps the sear action down unless it's wiped off before hitting the fire- it will just steam.

This said........what the heck? If it tasted good, that's all that counts. :D
John - Hopelessly addicted to smoking and grilling. :D
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:39 am

Oh man, does this take me back! I used to marinate my chicken in Italian dressing before grilling.
Excellent looking cow, sir!
(Insert witty signature here)
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:54 am

I think your steak looks great. Cooked just the way I like it.

I tried marinating in Italian dressing before and I am not sure I liked it.

I wonder if the kiwi trick is better for tenderizing. Haven't tried it, only read about it.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:39 am

Thanks Y'all, especially for the grill mark tips - - - - one of my problems with getting grill marks is that I NEVER leave them longer than 5 min per side so maybe a soldering iron and T-square after plating is my only answer. :laughing7: :D :lol:

Willie Sir, I used that line when ordering a Steak at Somerville right after the Wiffy and I had gotten together and she also got up and left me sitting there. :dont: :roll: :whiteflag:

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”